Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Oaks/Derby Double (1849 Views)
Posted by: Tim B. (IP Logged)
Date: May 02, 2002 04:39PM

I know that workouts are not a major factor in most sheet-players handicapping, but I am intrigued with all the hype following the morning preparation for the Derby and Oaks.

I watch those TVG "The Works" shows when possible, read all the daily news via Bloodhorse, Thorooughbred Times, etc. and even talk to a few friends in the business who happen to go to Churchill about 3 weeks early every year just to watch the works. Personally, I don't much pay attention to when a horse is doig well, but think that noting when a horse IS NOT working well is much more important.

Anyway, everyone I speak to and most reports I read talk about how tremendous Frankel's YOU looks. I'm not aware of how the Oaks fillies look on TG sheets (I use the other product, actually, although you don't have to be concerned about me stirring the pot in this forum), but she isn't anything standoutish on the Rags. In fact, I would go as far as saying that both Take Charge Lady and possibly Imperial Gesture look more formidable (the latter is a tough call, as Ragozin has no approx. #s for her races in Dubai, but her BC effort at 2 was so good that she merits my respect tomorrow).

The problem I have with the glowing reports about YOU, and the just average reports about TAKE CHARGE LADY are that they come from people who probably have never seen either of these fillies work prior to 2 weeks ago. Basically, it's altogether possible that this is the way these fillies ALWAYS look in the mornings. Does anyone in this forum have any idea as to how YOU and TAKE CHARGE LADY normally look in their works? I know that Kenny McPeek was quoted as saying that he didn't think Churchill was TCL's favorite surface, and that she didn't handle it great last year as a 2yo in the mud. The Rag number she got for that effort really wasn't bad, which leads me to not pay too much attention to McPeek's comments.

My whole agenda here is to try to make a score on the Oaks/Derby double, mainly trying to beat Harlan's Holiday and Came Home in the Derby, while not having to go too deep in the Oaks. Any thoughts on the double, or insight as to how the aforementioned fillies normally look in the mornings?

Subject Written By Posted
Oaks/Derby Double (1849 Views) Tim B. 05/02/2002 04:39PM
Re: Oaks/Derby Double (1032 Views) Rick Pullman 05/02/2002 05:10PM
Re: Oaks/Derby Double (1021 Views) Treadhead 05/02/2002 05:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.