Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Saratoga West (1172 Views)
Posted by: Fairmount1 (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2016 05:02PM

Trevor’s clear excitement in deep stretch with his South African accent is a moment I’ll never forget. [i]“California Chrome, Dortmund head for the wire in an absolute thriller."[/i] It was the culmination of two days of unbelievable scenery, racing, food, meeting truly fantastic people, and an experience as exhilarating as a racing fan can have at any track.

I declared to my closest friends by text that evening that Del Mar did something I never thought possible. It reached the top of my leaderboard in just one visit despite my love for Keeneland, Saratoga, Derby weekend, and the Breeders Cup!

There is a cleverly named Condominium complex literally across the street from Del Mar called Saratoga West. The problem is that the two tracks are nothing alike beyond the fact they host some terrific racing at the same time of the year. Each has its own flavor and appeal but if you haven’t been to Del Mar which I believe translates to "Of the Sea", you have to make it! You can literally go for a jog on the beach and be at Del Mar just moments later if you so desire. The weather is perfect every day apparently. People apologized about 80 degrees being too hot! I rarely (if not never) generalize about the beauty of women in one geographical area as opposed to another; but it was so ridiculous how the next woman was more attractive than the previous one for two straight days. I kept thinking in TG terms such as there goes another Neg 1….there goes a negative 3…There goes a neg 2.5. I asked a bartender, who was an attractive woman, as we waited a few minutes for our table if the women were truly more beautiful in the San Diego area than elsewhere. In an honest tone, she explained that she was not from there until about five years ago but that it was absolutely true and she didn’t know why beyond the weather might be a factor. I think it is more than just the weather. I met two surfer guys on the beach one morning. They volunteered to me after I said I was from St. Louis that “we have the market cornered on beautiful women in San Diego!” #truth

A monster thanks goes to Roger N. for all of his hospitality, his insight, his handicapping acumen, and just letting me be a part of his world for two full days. He introduced me to some amazing people including a few trainers that won on the weekend as well as Tom Quigley and a few owners. We even made it into the paddock to see Enola Gray up close and personal. Roger barely knew me and introduced me as his “friend” to everyone despite just truly meeting him upon arrival Thursday evening after many emails and texts. After the San Diego, Baffert and his family were walking out of the track next to us and obviously they knew my host. This allowed me to hear several of Bobby’s one line zingers about [i]Chrome is a freak that doesn’t look like much[/i] and [i]at least Chrome won’t eat well tonight[/i] along with a few other terrific ones. This was icing on the cake.

The Pamplemousse was by far the best restaurant I have ever eaten at although being a hayseed from Missouri I thought maybe this didn’t mean much. But Roger touted it as the best restaurant in the world possibly and some friends of his stopped by our table to confirm the same exact thing after saying they have eaten in many, many countries. Victor was sitting at the table behind Roger and Kent D. was sitting at the table behind me. It was quite the place but no description in writing can explain how truly unbelievable the food tasted with each and every bite. What’s scary is Roger said there was one more restaurant just up the street that might be co-favorite for the best restaurant in the world---I’ll be there next time.

I had so many experiences that were so unbelievable in two days that I could go on and on for pages.....handicapping, stories from owners, other fantastic restaurants, etc, that you have to draw the line somewhere. I’ll save you the reading at this point and say you better make it out to Del Mar in a hurry to see what’s happening before life passes you by! (FrankD.,richiebee, JB, and the backyard crew: The pressure is on for Travers weekend and more importantly, you must schedule a trip to Del Mar when I can meet you out there along with Roger)!

Roger, it never would have been such a truly remarkable experience without all of your guidance and planning. Thanks, my friend! As I said though, after not playing this one, I will win that tournament in November or next year and I hope to see you then or next summer along with possibly JB, Frank D., richiebee, shanahan, and other TGamblers! Then, and only then, would Saratoga West be an appropriate description.

Subject Written By Posted
Saratoga West (1172 Views) Fairmount1 07/25/2016 05:02PM
Re: Saratoga West (765 Views) richiebee 07/25/2016 07:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.