Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (1359 Views)
Posted by: Marc At (IP Logged)
Date: January 28, 2003 05:41PM

"As for the $1000 he mentions, what I got for that was Friedman’s admission that track maintenance affects track speed, which contradicted his earlier statements (regarding the 2000 Wood Memorial figures) that it did not."

I'm a bit hazy on this, but my memory of "The Odds Must Be Crazy," is that there are repeated mentions of track maintenance affecting track speed.

Isn't the general argument from you and Friedman on this issue is that you're more liberal in your beliefs on *how much* track maintenance can affect track speed, whereas he is essentially more cautious/conservative?

It seems like every time this issue comes up, there's a bit of genuine confusion between the two sides-- you think Friedman is saying ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT, when instead he thinks the impact is less than you do, but not non-existent. And he doesn't seem to explain himself that well. Unless he can make $1000 in the process.

Unrelated: Walking around the book at Bally's at the National Handicapping Championships a couple weekends ago, I noticed someone in the Wolfson gang (and I guess it turns out it was Jr.) was using T-graph. Certainly validation of T-graph as a viable tool for handicappers looking to improve their game.

Ragozin customers? Saw some of those, too (no, I will not speculate on the ratios!), including the second-place finisher.

Had a nice chat with Josh Silverstein, a bright young guy who finished 8th-- Josh told me he uses absolutely NO speed figures when handicapping, because "there's no money in figures." He later admitted that some players obviously succeed with figs, but he makes most of his scores in maiden races and on the turf, focusing on what sounded like highly nuanced breeding and trainer plays.

Jerry, given the repeated mistakes that Ragozin makes-- that you point out with great confidence so often-- how do you think it's possible that Ragozin customers performed so well at the NHC (and at Suncoast) a couple weeks ago? Shouldn't the numbers be so wildly offbase that "condition plays" such as Offlee Wild would be out of the question?

Or, at the end of the day, would you acknowledge that their numbers are valid but you just know yours are better?

Subject Written By Posted
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (1359 Views) Marc At 01/28/2003 05:41PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (864 Views) Silver Charm 01/28/2003 06:20PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (1015 Views) Marc At 01/28/2003 07:18PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (830 Views) TGJB 01/28/2003 08:09PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (939 Views) Marc At 01/28/2003 09:12PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (897 Views) TGJB 01/28/2003 10:12PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (857 Views) Marc At 01/29/2003 06:24PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (931 Views) David Patent 01/29/2003 06:59PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (867 Views) TGJB 01/29/2003 07:48PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (840 Views) David Patent 01/29/2003 09:20PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (809 Views) TGJB 01/29/2003 08:23PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (823 Views) JimP 01/29/2003 09:56PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (954 Views) TGJB 01/28/2003 06:24PM
Re: Friedman/Trainer Stats/ and more (865 Views) HP 01/28/2003 07:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.