Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
PA Derby (1237 Views)
Posted by: BitPlayer (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2016 01:16PM

This is what the talking heads would refer to as a great betting race, because it is so wide open. As for myself, I need to come up with an opinion. I’m hoping that writing this will help.

Anything I come up with will be subject to seeing how the track is playing. I don’t generally play Parx. I’ve seen it be very speed-favoring (e.g., Bayern’s year), but I’ve also seen it where the jocks avoid the rail like death.

Awesome Slew – Moved forward last time, clearing from the outside and getting loose on the lead. Was 2d-time blinkers. Doesn’t seem like a need-the-lead type. Still a bit slow, but rail trip could be coming. Carries 122 this time. Morning line of 10-1 seems about fair.

Exaggerator – Big bounce in Travers off new top in slop in Haskell. Now has had more time to recover. Co-highweight. Co-fastest with Summer Revolution after adjusting for weights, but could face ground loss circling big field. Seems a little short at morning line of 9-2.

Summer Revolution – Co-fastest with Exaggerator after adjusting for weights, but top came sprinting and was followed by a bounce in the King’s Bishop last time. Castellano defects to stay with Chad Brown, but Mike Smith climbs aboard. Well-posted. Alan gave this one out on the radio.

Connect – Not particularly fast. Off race last time in Travers, with sub-optimal trip. Given connections, seems unlikely to be value.

Cupid - Was the TG poster boy for slow overbet horses in the spring, but last two have been fast. Could be on the lead if, as O’Neill has suggested, Nyquist sits off the pace. Not quite as fast as fastest, but with saving ground is competitive with those. Need to see how track is playing, but if speed is holding, I think he’s the most likely winner.

Wild About Deb – Gets in light, but still a little slow. Preciado?

Gun Runner - Moved forward to a competitive fig in the Travers. Has shown ability to get ground-saving trips. Contender, but seems likely to be overbet.

My Man Sam – Gets in light, but top is slow and two much-slower races in last three.

Nyquist – Co-highweight. Weight-adjusted top is a bit slower than fastest. If rated as O’Neill has suggested, ground loss could be substantial, as in 2014 BC Juvenile. Nyquist has run well off long breaks in the past. What was O'Neill doing with him at San Luis Rey?

Sunny Ridge - Seems a little slow in here. Has had enough time that a forward move could be coming, but Haskell seems like it was the main target. Oddly spaced works after Haskell. Servis is dangerous at Parx, but post could lead to ground loss, and gives 5 poinds to some.

Discreet Lover – In light, but slow.

Hit It Once More – Weight-adjusted top is a little slow. Could be competitive with a small forward move if the top ones don’t fire. Price could be huge.

Comments welcome.

Subject Written By Posted
PA Derby (1237 Views) BitPlayer 09/24/2016 01:16PM
Re: PA Derby (812 Views) boardedup 09/24/2016 02:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.