Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Devil's Black and Gold? (1121 Views)
Posted by: Fairmount1 (IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2017 10:21PM

For those of you serious students of the game, the cat is finally out of the bag on this angle especially with twitter blowing up about today's Sunland Park Derby. It may still be useful moving ahead though. I've seen little "movement" in the odds of any angle I've ever posted on the board so I have no reservations about sharing what many of you may already know.

For several months now dating back to the fall, I've told friends (including several on the board by text/email) that Calumet Farm has horses that are "running." They had several two year olds and now three year olds that are chasing the stakes races. Their horses have been solid wagers this year but today they scored a solid one....or someone did.

These broad assertions would be attacked with vigor by the crowd here but I have the stats to back it up. Calumet has quickly made it back on the map in the past year or so and this year they are doing quite well......

YEAR, RANK, STARTS, W/P/S, Win%, Earnings
[b]2017: 3. 120 21 20 10 18% $1.9 million (less than 3 months)[/b]
2016: 20. 395 48 39 47 12% $2.5 million
2015: 31. 324 41 25 35 13% $2.1 million
2014: 112. 203 14 25 22 7% 1.02 million
2013: 29. 175 9 16 16 5% 2.2 million (Won Preakness with Oxbow)
2012: NONE (Oxbow ran as a 2yo for Kelly's Bluegrass Hall before he acquired Calumet).

The Preakness in 2013 was Calumet's first Triple Crown race win since 1968. They are back on track to get back to the Triple Crown races and Henceforth, it shall be no surprise when you see success with trainers such as Pletcher, Desormeaux, McLaughlin, Asmussen, Arnold, and Lukas.

A few horses of note you may recognize: Sonic Mule, Wild Shot, Sonneteer (112-1 2nd place finisher in the Rebel), Horse Fly, True Timber, and of course today: Hence. As Twitter noted, his odds went from 27-1 to 10-1 in the final moments. Others are on to their horses and someone certainly was on this one so I'm not revealing anything earth shattering here if you have been paying attention. But if you haven't, you might want to start.

One example: Lukas has won 7 races at Oaklawn this meet. Five of them have been for Calumet. It would be interesting to note if the TG figs of these five have shown improvement that exceeds the other horses in Lukas' barn during this time.

The board has slowed down obviously since twitter with its insta-analysis has taken off and made everyone an insta-expert as FrankD. noted but I never see any meaningful insight on there as I do on here when people post. Hoping to see more as Triple Crown season gets very serious now. (Like how good was Bin Suroor first time N/A and first time lasix when he was training US horses esp at Saratoga? Do I recall like 35 to 40 percent???) If anyone has those stats, please pm them to me as I'm very curious if he was as unbelievable as I recall.

Subject Written By Posted
Devil's Black and Gold? (1121 Views) Fairmount1 03/26/2017 10:21PM
Re: Devil's Black and Gold? (890 Views) Furious Pete 03/26/2017 11:16PM
Re: Devil's Black and Gold? (704 Views) Molesap 03/27/2017 12:52AM
Re: Hence (748 Views) BitPlayer 03/27/2017 09:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.