Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Feedback (Re. use of form ratings) (1428 Views)
Posted by: Furious Pete (IP Logged)
Date: May 28, 2017 09:04AM

I bought 145 dollars worth of TG-form this weekend which enabled me to have a look at your various products for no additional cost, including analysis and form ratings which I've never cared to buy before. I got no complaints about anything.

However, as I suspected, I didn't really use the form ratings for anything in my handicapping, and judging by the analyses, neither did you. And nor should you have, I guess what a good handicapper does is in a way making their own form ratings by weighing intuitively the different numbers as to their liking and way of thinking/handicapping. On a side note; I wanted to chime in earlier in the week with this article that I thought fitted in a discussion about "the paralysis of overanalysis" etc, it fits here as well: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucekasanoff/2017/02/21/intuition-is-the-highest-form-of-intelligence/#5a7c6d0b3860

I understand that the form ratings are products made for customers different than me. I didn't really check how they "fared" either.

However, I did find one possible good use of them, at least for my way of playing the races in US. I like to download all the form I want and bet a whole lot of races when I'm first playing, spreading across your whole great country (and Canada). American racing is mostly about leisure for me, and this works fine.

The use of them I have in mind is simply to use them as a really fast way to identify POTENTIALLY good betting races, and to easily "toss" races completely from ones betting schedule. For that to work however, and this is really the request/feedback I'm on about here, one got to compare them with the Morning Lines. There's a big difference between a horse 10 pounds clear on ratings that is 3/5, and one that is 15/1, etc. What I did this week was to put in the extra work to find those M/L's myself, but would you consider adding them to your products? And if you start selling before they're ready, maybe you could "update" them for those that care when M/L's are set?

Just my two cents, I think this could help making form ratings relevant also for avid horseplayers.

Feedback # two is that it would help to get some more insight into how they are composed. How many races on the relevant surface do one go back when computing these numbers, for instance? 3? 5? 10? All of them? Maybe I overlooked it but can't seem to find the info on that.

All in all,

A happy customer.

(Full disclosure, and it might come as a surprise; I don't use any other form data than TG when playing in the US)

Subject Written By Posted
Feedback (Re. use of form ratings) (1428 Views) Furious Pete 05/28/2017 09:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.