Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Venting re NYRA (1523 Views)
Posted by: BitPlayer (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2018 12:56PM

I grew up going to Saratoga with my Dad or taking a bus from Schenectady on Saturdays when he didn’t want to go, and I still think Saratoga has the highest quality racing in the country. When I lived on the East Coast, my Dad, siblings, and I used to make annual pilgrimages to the Spa (accompanied by dinners at Luigi’s in Schenectady). I now live in California, but when I moved here I opened a NYRA Telebet account so I could bet NY racing by phone. Eventually, for convenience, I shifted most of my handle to an online account, betting only occasionally through NYRA by phone. Finally, I couldn’t even bet by phone, so I closed the account.

When NYRA started offering a video feed of their races, I opened a Basic account (no betting) so I could watch. Last summer, I thought about taking advantage of a Bet and Get offer from NYRA Bets, so I sent them an e-mail asking whether my old Telebet account would disqualify me. They never responded. I’ve never had any such problem with XpressBet.

Last Saturday, signed in through my Basic account, I played in the Saturday Showdown contest and won, proving that it’s better to be lucky than good. I didn’t hear anything from NYRA, so I went online to find out whether and how I could collect the prize of 50,000 points. I also renewed my question about eligibility for the current Bet and Get offer. The chat function was offline, so I was encouraged to leave a message and my e-mail address. I did that. I got an e-mail back that their spam filter had blocked my message (which I had typed into a message box on their website).

Failing to contact them online, I called on Tuesday morning. The woman on the phone was very courteous and helpful, but could not answer my question about the contest points. She said I would need to call back on Thursday, when the promotions personnel were in the office. She did answer my question about Bet and Get. They did not get around to suspending my Telebet account for over a year after I emptied and closed it, so the three-year inactivity requirement is not met.

I called back on Thursday. The same woman answered my call and transferred me to promotions. No one answered, so I got kicked to voice mail and left a message to call me. No one did.

Today (Friday), I connected with an operator through the chat function. She told me that, because I live in California, I am not eligible for the prize. The rules say the contest is open to anyone in the US, but they also say “void where prohibited,” so I’ll live with that. I’ve had worse beats.

My annual handle is minuscule by TG standards, so I’m sure my absence won’t affect the bottom line at NYRA Bets, but I’m struck by NYRA’s repeated failure to meet even minimal customer relations standards. If anyone ever wanted to see NYRA succeed, it’s me, but it’s like they’re trying to piss me off. I’ll incorporate this post into a letter to Chris Kay to let him know how my “guest experience” has been.

Subject Written By Posted
Venting re NYRA (1523 Views) BitPlayer 02/09/2018 12:56PM
Re: Venting re NYRA (801 Views) Boscar Obarra 02/09/2018 08:30PM
Re: Venting re NYRA - Update (758 Views) BitPlayer 02/10/2018 11:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.