Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Elkhorn -- ROTW (1514 Views)
Posted by: Socalman3 (IP Logged)
Date: April 21, 2018 01:10PM

Well, looks like I am going to jinx myself again.

First off, thank you to TG for a great race of the week. Really really chewy race.

Agree that Oscar Nominated runs the most consistent efforts and with an decent trip hard to imagine him not needing to be on tickets (Although Rosario has made me tear my hair out before).

The horse that interests me the most in the race and who I am going to use as a co-key with Oscar Nominated is Canessar.

This is really a pattern play, but to me an exceptionally strong pattern play.

First off, you have a horse trying a mile and a half off a layoff. That is a big question, but look at this horse's history off layoffs -- from 2yo year to 3yo year, from 3yo year to 4 yo year, from europe to Maryland. Every time horse moves forward.

With the exception of the outside horse, this horse is the most lightly raced horse in the race, and in general the horse just has a steady forward moving developmental pattern. Only bounce was off a lifetime top jump up first lasix late in season. Totally excusable bounce.

Arguably, this horse is coming into this race off a 0-2-X (it is a 0-2-6months off -- but that is close to being a 0-2-X)

Also, I like this horse's european form.....his last 5 races in Europe were all in races longer that 12 panels and he was taking the lead and getting caught....so the Laurel first lasix lifetime top was also shortening up in distance. His last three european races were 5s at either 14 or 15 panels where he was leading. in my view, those numbers need to be treated like they are even better when you think he is getting a quarter of a mile or more less distance today. If any of the other horses in this race were running 14 or 15 furlongs, I doubt they could have done as well as he did (and it was without lasix).

I also find his workout pattern very intriguing. HAs anybody ever seen a horse with 3 workouts in 8 days? look at his last three at Tampa. Very interesting. The turf work around the dogs on this surface looks good too. Have to think Trainer is pointing to this race.

Finally, this is a horse that is usually well backed. His longest odds in his career was in a G2 against the future Breeders Cup Turf winner where he was 6-1. He was the favorite out of 12 horses in the autumn version of this race last out. If he was favorite there, I do not see what he has done since then to justify morning line odds of 15-1.

Again, given this opus, I have probably stuck a fork in this horse, but I am going to put my money where my keyboard is and go down with this ship.

Subject Written By Posted
Elkhorn -- ROTW (1514 Views) Socalman3 04/21/2018 01:10PM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (1106 Views) Tavasco 04/21/2018 06:08PM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (1000 Views) Socalman3 04/21/2018 06:18PM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (916 Views) TreadHead 04/21/2018 06:51PM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (1059 Views) FrankD. 04/21/2018 07:05PM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (1012 Views) FrankD. 04/22/2018 09:12AM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (885 Views) Tavasco 04/22/2018 10:56AM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (824 Views) Socalman3 06/08/2018 12:16PM
Re: Elkhorn -- ROTW (773 Views) hellersorr 06/08/2018 01:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.