Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Del Mar Opening Day Thoughts (1299 Views)
Posted by: APny (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2018 10:59AM

I spent a good amount of time on the card...here are some thoughts:

Race 1: OUT OF PATIENCE goes back to Kristen Mulhall who has had success with this horse. If this horse can stalk what should be an honest pace, he could get it done. My key horse in what is a wide open season opener.

Race 2: I'm thinking SO LONG SAILOR bounced last time and should be poised to run a big one. I also think JIMMY CHILA should get a good trip from the rail and is consistent.

Race 3: A total guessing game.

Race 4: I'm going to take a shot with BLUEBERRY PRINCESS who may be coming out of a key race. This horse has been touted on workout reports and should improve 2nd time out. Note the trainers statistics 2nd time out when he takes money. Watch the board!

Race 5: It's hard to look past ARMS RUNNER who stands out on number power and has a good inside post. The race seems wide open after that.

Race 6: After running on a dead rail last time out, DIVISOR should run a good one. Has a win over this track should run big 2nd off the layoff. SHIVERMETIMBERS appears vulnerable to me. His only victory, a maiden win at DelMar last year, appears a lot less impressive after PEACE turned out to be a very average horse.

Race 7: Experts have already anointed BRILL the next SONGBIRD. While her works have been impressive, I wonder if the horses who have run already, TRUE VALIDITY and BIZWHACKS may have a fitness edge over this surface.

Race 8: I'm very intrigued by 20-1 m/l O'Neill trainee SHANE ZAIN. This horse's dam was ALL turf and his turf numbers as a 2 y-o are in line with dirt performances, if not better. He has been over matched in his last few and I think he can run big here at a price.

Race 9: No real thoughts other than....How is HARD FOUGHT only 8-1 m/l???

Race 10: How about taking a shot with 1.1m 2 y/o purchase GOREN. Speed and fade first time out PLUS ran on a dead rail. Should appreciate the move to grass. At a price I'll take a shot. I also find both of Mandella's runners appealing. While I typically don't like to play his horses because I believe he is totally overrated and gets over-bet, his 2 horses here should both improve on their last efforts.

Would've loved to be there for opening day but The Spa is calling.
Let's make some $$$

Subject Written By Posted
Del Mar Opening Day Thoughts (1299 Views) APny 07/18/2018 10:59AM
Re: Del Mar Opening Day Thoughts (857 Views) hellersorr 07/18/2018 09:20PM
Re: Del Mar Opening Day Thoughts (841 Views) Ace 07/18/2018 09:56PM
Re: Del Mar Opening Day Thoughts (818 Views) APny 07/19/2018 12:07AM
Re: Del Mar Opening Day Thoughts (849 Views) toppled 07/19/2018 09:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.