Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Lets start early....BC Friday! (1144 Views)
Posted by: Molesap (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2018 03:28AM

[b]Juvenile Turf Sprint[/b]
Inaugural running of Juvenile Turf Sprint, seems very popular with trainers as they have a full field of twelve (they only allow twelve to start in this race) and full also eligible list. They could split this into two divisions and still have a number of AE’s. With no history, it is impossible to make a profile of the winner. They did run this race on the undercard last year and Euro entries went 1-2-3-4. The winner and third place horse came from the rear of the field, while the second and fourth place horse came from midfield. It was just one race, but maybe upgrade the Euros? Even looking at previous editions Breeder’s Cup Turf sprints for older does not provide a wealth of information as those races were previously run at 5f. Generally speaking, races at 5.5f on the turf course at CD favor the inside posts. In addition wire to wire winners are fairly common as are pressers – they account for almost 4/5 of the winners. Midpack runners make up most of the other winners while a very small percentage are deep closers. But who knows how this profile fits with 2YO’s, especially with half the field coming across the Atlantic.

[u]Bulletin[/u] - Intriguing Pletcher trainee who impressively won GP sprint stakes in debut. Bred to be a good turf sprinter, could be really special here. I really liked the way he won. TG number looks pretty good and Pletcher’s often move forward in second start.
[u]Soldier’s Call[/u] (GB) - Interesting as he ran third by a neck to older horses in the G1 Prix de Abbaye and has multiple graded wins. Never out of the money while racing exclusively at 5f, but the extra half furlong does not seem an issue based on his finishes, but perhaps having to negotiate a turn might pose a bigger problem. Still, seems to be the fastest of the imports and has a big shot here.
[u]Sergei Prokofiev[/u] - O’Brien always seems to have a strong stable, but he does not always bring his strongest to the US. This one seems a cut below as he was overmatched in G1, but he still looks competitive enough. His three wins all came at 5f on the turf including a G3. Still question his form with the very best of his generation, but cannot toss off his lst which measures up against everyone on paper.
[u]So Perfect[/u] - Filly seems like a sprinter to me with the breeding and has never been beyond 6f. Always close for O’Brien, has a record of 6-2-1-1 but has only been more than 3/4 lengths back at the finish one time and a couple of those were in G1’s. If you like the foreign form, you have to consider as I think as she seems to be in the upper echelon from overseas despite not being in the upper echelon of the TG figures.

[b]Juvenile Fillies Turf[/b]
Surprisingly to me, the US has done very well in this event taking 8/10 renewals and 5/10 resulted in an all US based exacta. Not surprisingly, Chad has done really well winning four. Most of those winners can from the Miss Grillo or Natalma.

[u]Newspaperofrecord[/u] (IRE) - Has looked tremendous winning over a yielding surface in both starts – looks easily like the best North American prospect and I will go as far as saying the best horse in the race. Chad trainee has yet to run on a firm turf in the afternoon, but given the forecast they will get some rain at least in the middle of the week so it is not likely too firm if at all. Plainly put she has been visually stunning in both her starts. She will likely be pounded at the windows and is the most likely winner on the Friday card especially considering the number she got for the Miss Grillo and the history of the race – all of which fit her to a T.
[u]My Gal Betty[/u] - Ran second as the favorite in the Natalma for Attfield. I am usually against WO form, but the Natalma has been a key for this one. She has done nothing wrong coming into this and is 4-2-1-2 overall. She has ascending figures so that indicates she is improving, which may be related to the increased distance and has shown a decent closing kick. She is one to consider.
[u]Concrete Rose[/u] - Beat a field of statues in a grassy Kee G2 route and this is a much deeper pond. By all speed figure data, she actually regressed when stretching out, but was still good enough to prevail in a weak field. She looked OK winning her last and it is hard to argue with a perfect record including a G2 win, but I am still skeptical she is this good. Her speed figures match up with all in the race except the favorite, so I guess you have to consider, especially for the unders.
[u]Just Wonderful[/u] – I had a hard time separating this one and Hermosa, but hear rumor Hermosa may not be coming. O’Brien charge has a 6-3-1-0 record so far with a couple of graded wins. Won a G3 at a mile a couple back so that makes her eligible to run well here. In terms of the imports, O’Brien seems to hold a strong hand. It will be interesting to see where Moore ends up as that might give some clues as to which one seems more live.

[b]Juvenile Fillies[/b]
Success has generally boiled down to a horse previously racing on major circuit (NY, KY or CA) especially if ran At BEL, KEE or SA in a G1 race. From 33 horses that have won, 26 had won a graded stakes prior to winning this race. Favorites have dominated this for years and still hit over 50% if you take all 34 events into account (18/34), but four of the last five winners were 32/1, 62/1, 33/1 and 17/1.

[u]Jaywalk[/u] - I am intrigued by the numbers this one shows as she is fast early, but pretty much faster than everyone late. She nicely fits the profile of the typical winner of this race. At this point, I like her best as I think she has a great combination of speed and a nice late kick. She has not been two turns yet and being out of Cross Traffic there is some concern as to whether or not she can get the distance, but I think she will be OK in both those areas. Solid chance here at a bit of a price.
[u]Bellafina[/u] - Likely is the one to beat here and she will be a relatively short-priced favorite I am sure. Was not convinced she was that good in the Dmr Debutante, but erased most of my concerns at SA in the Chandelier. She stalked the pace and pulled away late in an impressive win while pairing her top last out, which alleviates some of the distance concerns. She is fast, but does not really fit the profile of a winner in this race as not many have done well on or near the lead.
[u]Restless Rider[/u] - Prompt favorite in the Alcibiades, she has a lifetime record of 4-3-1-0. Thought she was much better than her foes at Kee on paper and on the track. She has finished a race quick enough to consider and she will not be on the lead – two criteria that are predictive of success in this race. I do not love her in this spot, but she has a shot I would think.
[u]Cassies Dreamer[/u] - Bobbled at the start and then ran fairly evenly in the Frizette. She has had trouble all three starts, so if she ever gets of the gate, she could improve, but sometimes bad gate horses never get better. She has shown an ability to close and many winners in the past came off the pace. I do not think we have seen her best and while slower, her line reminds me of Caledonia Road a bit – she won this race last year from the Frizette.

[b]Juvenile Turf[/b]
Just as the US fillies have been so dominant, the European contingent has been tough in this Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf. They have won 7, while the US have won 4. In fact, the European based horses have filled at least half of the superfecta slots in almost every year, but they represent only a fraction on the entrants (about 30%).

[u]Anthony Van Dyck[/u] (IRE) - This one fits the race to a “T” as he has the attributes that have led to success in the past. His trainer, Aidan O’Brien has won this race multiple times, this horse ran third in the Dewhurst, which is the same race Mendelssohn ran second in before winning this event in 2017. The only issue is that O’Brien said he was likely not coming, then he magically appears in the pre-entries. He looks better than last year’s winner coming in, so I have to rate him on top – he is my choice in this race and I really like him in this spot if he shows as he paired tops last time with a very good relative figure.
[u]Broome[/u] (IRE) – Last I read was that O’Brien was not going to bring both Anthony Van Dyck and Broome, so it may end up being an either or choice. I really liked Broome on the Arc undercard and this O’Brien trainee just missed in the Jean-Luc Lagardere, which has also been a key race in the past. Trained by O’Brien, he has had four races already over a mile, so he should be fit. Has the right profile finishing in the money in a grade stakes at 7f or better – he would be live if makes the trip.
[u]Line of Duty[/u] (IRE) - Line of Duty has a record of 4-2-2 for Charles Appleby and his two place finishes were close. So he has run all four of his races very competitively and has been bet down to the favorite in every start. Has not beat much though, but you can only run against the ones who show up. Bred to run all day, won a G3 9f race last out. Do not think he is quite on par with a few of the others from across the Atlantic, but have to respect.
[u]Somelikeithotbrown[/u] - Most of the US based horses seem to be cookie cutter runners who mostly have the same style and figures. Seems like if an American horse wins this, they may have to steal it on the front end. This one set the pace in the Pilgram and held on OK after that. He went fairly quick early so he had an excuse to fold it up. There is not much pace signed on in the initial body of the field except for War of Will. Plus, Maker is always tough and this one might be as well, especially from a pace dynamic standpoint.

[b]Juvenile[/b]
I am always surprised by the opposite trends we sometimes see when looking at the fillies vs colts. While in the Juvenile Fillies division, speed does not seem to do well, it was often a commodity in the Juvenile. However, off the pace runners have prevailed in three of the last four years. Prior to that many of the Juvenile winners raced on the lead or pressed the pace in second. You have to go back to 2009 and Vale of York to find another closer winning this. It has also been a chalky affair as 10 of the last 12 Juvenile favorites have finished in the exacta, dating back to First Samurai’s 2005 third place effort and finishing with Bolt d’Oro’s show finish after a rough trip in 2017. Overall, 11 favorites have won this race, so they are hitting around 33%.

[u]Game Winner[/u] - The deserved favorite who is undefeated in three tries. Checks all of the boxes, can stalk, can close, been around two turns successfully, Hall of Fame trainer, good figures - he looks like the real deal. Has a few more options than Complexity based on running style. However, remember the favorite looked really good last year and all he could muster was a third place finish. Plus, horses coming out of the SA prep (formerly the Norfolk, but has changed names multiple times) are 0/8 at CD – something to consider?
[u]Complexity[/u] - Seems to have just one way to go, which makes him dangerous and vulnerable at the same time. No doubt he is the speed of the speed and that means he could get an easy lead. But if he gets hooked, not sure how well he holds on to the end, especially around two turns. Both those turns are a potential issue and some question his breeding for routes, but I think this distance should be OK as his sire does have a winner of a Triple Crown race (Cloud Computing but with much more distance orientated pedigree on the bottom). I suspect he will be very tough. Trainer won this race last year with a maiden – think of the possibilities he has with a G1 winner here. One of the ones.
[u]Code of Honor[/u] - Broke slowly in Champagne and that may have benefitted him more than hurt. Made a nice move to make it into the place spot and it gave him a world of seasoning. Was never getting to the winner in my opinion, but showed he belonged. Like all of the horses coming from NY, two turns is a question mark and with his breeding, it is even a bigger one. I do not think he is in the top tier with Game Winner and Complexity, but matches up favorably with the other entrants. Earned a good figure, but based on his last run, may become the wiseguy horse and that is never a good thing.
[u]Gunmetal Gray[/u] - Hollendorfer trainee chased Game Winner last time around. Never threatened the winner though. Can he make up five lengths on both Game Winner and Complexity is the big question. Certainly is usable in the unders and depending on price, could be used on top as well. Two year olds this time of year can jump forward fairly easily. Better than most here – chance for a piece.

Subject Written By Posted
Lets start early....BC Friday! (1511 Views) APny 10/28/2018 10:40PM
Re: Lets start early....BC Friday! (1144 Views) Molesap 10/29/2018 03:28AM
Re: Lets start early....BC Friday! (1062 Views) Tavasco 10/29/2018 06:12AM
Re: Lets start early....BC Friday! (994 Views) Tavasco 10/29/2018 05:58AM
Re: Lets start early....BC Friday! - Some Curiosities (1137 Views) Tavasco 10/29/2018 03:53PM
Re: Lets start early....BC Friday! - Some Curiosities (936 Views) toppled 10/29/2018 05:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.