Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Joe Drape - PETA Lapdog (1292 Views)
Posted by: BitPlayer (IP Logged)
Date: May 27, 2019 12:58PM

Given that similar headlines appeared on the Washington Post, LA Times, and CNN websites, I'm guessing that they all received a press release from PETA and decided to go with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/sports/santa-anita-fatality.html

Leaving aside the issue of whether the death of one horse falls within the scope of "All the news that is fit to print," I could have written everything else in the article without leaving my laptop. Drape got info about the breakdown from the Equibase chart. There is no evidence that he talked to any of the horse's connections, a veterinarian, or anyone from the track.

Why are we still counting fatalities since December? Clearly, the track put new protocols in place since then. Wouldn't it be more intellectually honest to track the fatalities and rate since the new protocols were put in place?

The PETA statement that zero fatalities is the only acceptable rate and suggestion that Santa Anita has bought into that warrants a reality check.

I understand that it may be a legitimate issue whether horse racing should continue in California, and if it goes away, I can live with that, but this article reflects an abhorrent trend in journalism to contribute to polarization rather than add to the knowledge necessary for informed decisions.

Subject Written By Posted
Joe Drape - PETA Lapdog (1292 Views) BitPlayer 05/27/2019 12:58PM
Re: Joe Drape - PETA Lapdog (917 Views) toppled 05/27/2019 01:36PM
Re: Richiebee and PETA (816 Views) BitPlayer 05/29/2019 12:04PM
Re: Richiebee and PETA (813 Views) johnnym 05/29/2019 03:43PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.