Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
The Haskell? (1014 Views)
Posted by: Tavasco (IP Logged)
Date: July 20, 2019 10:44AM

First of all I want to acknowledge my concern for the health of the horses running @ Monmouth today. Hopefully some of those coolers that we've seen on TV cooling football player in So. Florida will be on hand to cool horses off after the race.

My impression of the Haskel is that it is a curious race in so much as only one horse (Everlast) has a proven ability to make up any ground. OK, technically, King For A Day has made up some ground. He passed Maximum Security in the stretch last out. He also passed a couple early @ CD in the KYJC before being run down.

The ability to make up ground and pass horses is more of a concern for vertical bettors wanting to fill out a tri or super. You know those folks who try to complicate a race forecast by factoring in pace and running style. For them, the first problem is Everlast, he is not dependable. He may lose interest all alone behind the other six(6) wanna lead contenders.

So generally the race can be imagined as six speedballs rushing to the front and then one by one also rans dropping off the pace to be cared for before heat prostration sets in.

Given the scenario above, two favorites run the risk of being compromised. The inside horse #1 King For A Day, on the rail will IMO, be out quicked away from the gate end up behind horses early. The outside horse #7 Maximum Security doesn't appear to have gotten the knack of rating at all. Although predictably good from the gate his weakness if he has one is going too fast early or what if he gets behind horses or forced wide on the first turn? Just a possibility?

The third of the favored trio could should get an ideal trip. I don't think he'll contest the lead, rather he'll track just behind the leader. I like that Mucho Gusto is a veteran of races in which he finished strongly.

But what about the other three(3) the pricey contenders that could be in the picture early? #2 Joevia proved his stamina in the Belmont and sans a bounce should be near the lead a long time. At m/l 10/1 he's a must use for me. #3 Spun To Run doesn't appear a good gate horse and will probably come out behind the pace setter but may prove tenacious and not fade until the stretch. Traffic hazard or potential jump up? Then we have #4 Bethlehem Road. It wasn't the pace in the Ohio Derby that got him last out. It was pedestrian. The colt bounced. It is kind of soon to expect a rebound. But he's as quick as any and I expect he'll go with Maximum Security softening that one up and earning the distinction of the first to spit the bit.

Bottom Line
Key #2 Joevia with the three 2/1 favorites in verticals. If Joevia gets hammered at the windows use #3 Spun To Run keyed with the four above.

Subject Written By Posted
The Haskell? (1014 Views) Tavasco 07/20/2019 10:44AM
Re: The Haskell? (727 Views) Dana666 07/20/2019 11:11AM
Re: The Haskell? (757 Views) Tavasco 07/20/2019 08:38PM
Re: The Haskell? (819 Views) Molesap 07/20/2019 10:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.