Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
8 weeks to recover from a top (1811 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2002 03:29PM

My understanding is that this has been & continues to be a central tenet of Rags' dogma, which I have heard expressed by Robes in live seminars, not to mention the infamous audio tapes. At the end of more than one tape I half-expected the assembled to do a mantra-like chant of the rule. It also seemed to me to be very much alive & well at the Muldoon meetings at Sar this past Aug, and is one of the rationales behind pinpointing when a horse is likely to make a fwd move. I feel compelled to reiterate that my position is not that the idea lacks any merit, as it certainly seems to work for Robes.
Rather, what I'm saying is that there has never been any statistical or other proof which supports either the general principle or its application in cases where the horse's line indicates the opposite is true. In other words, pending JB's runs, the matter is one of opinion, which are like you know whats, in that everyone has one, including prominent vets & trainers who are closest to & have devoted their lives to the horses.
In the context in which the question arose, I not unreasonably I think interpreted JB's comment that it was unfortunate that KAN ran his top about 6 weeks prior because he probably needed more tome to recover as an application of the "8 weeks to recover rule" which,as you will recall, I specifically made a pt of saying I found surprising. The reason for my surprise is a belief that the non-number info TG provides, & recently expanded, is at the very least an implicit rejection of another core Rag principle, namely that one should focus almost exclusively on nos. & patterns. Based on that & a careful reading of the ROTWs, I am also under the impression(& harbor the hope) that not all the Rags bzyantine orthodoxy survived to become part of the TG approach to handicapping. My basic pt is that if I am right that the "8 weeks" rule has not yet been jettisoned, it is certainly in line for the re-examination which is now underway.

Subject Written By Posted
8 weeks to recover from a top (1811 Views) Mall 02/25/2002 03:29PM
Re: 8 weeks to recover from a top (1145 Views) TGJB 02/26/2002 12:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.