Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
A Meta Perspective (650 Views)
Posted by: Tavasco (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2015 11:39PM

[b]Disclaimer[/b] - This post does not contain serious handicapping material it is intended to be a few moments of amusement and as a salve for weekend wounds.

So as we begin the Belmont Debate what concerns me most is what labels and mascot best describe the different camps. Where camp is a term I use instead of the controversial word class to separate the differing paradigms. The board will focus on a number of topics in the next three weeks from a meta position I enjoy the machinations and social phenomenon of the board.

[b]Camp Jerry[/b] (Method Men) - Mascot - A Glass Half Empty, Colors - Black On Black
This group is literally banking on the tried and true strategy of betting against a horse attempting to win the third jewel of the triple crown. These are the same folks that keep doubling up against and trying to rain on the hot hand at the craps table. Their logic is simple too many tough races in the spring tires a horse to the point that it cannot run its best race at the Big Sandy especially at the 1 + 1/2 distance. They may or may not have a hero like Upstart or Firing Line but that's irrelevant cause by now they have learned it is easier to find a loser than a winner and the value of all.

[b]Camp Florida[/b] (The Zealots) - Mascot - Senior Citizen In Flowered Shirt, Shorts & Sandals - Colors Blue White On A Deep Tan Brown W/Gold Accents
This gang seriously believes that the Florida 3 year olds are the best horses in the current crop. They have very strong opinions and cite the facts that one beat the other on a windy day. They can be identified by their reticence to talk about the Kentucky race or by the insistence that finishing sixth is not so bad in a field of sixteen especially considering the bad trip and luck.

[b]Camp Phletch[/b] (The Processors) - Mascot - Zegna Clad Executive w/Guccis, Colors - 50 Shades of Grey
This camp has an executive orientation. Not much emotion and special attention paid to detail and appearances. Like checking their look while walking to the trash can to dispose of torn and useless KD tickets. Their slogan is you win a war by winning the majority of the battles. Having read Sun Tzu they avoided Old Hilltop once they realized they had no advantage. No telling how many of their troops will show up in NY. Like the Mad Men their endgame is really breeding.

[b]Camp Wannabe[/b] - (The Rich & Famous) - Mascot - Rolls Royce, Colors - Gold & Silver
This group is characterized by desire and envy. Desire for a new triple crown champion. Desire for a middle eastern connected winner whether a sheik, a mogul or a dolphin and envy for the resources they have at their disposal. For this group anything is possible, enthusiasm more important than cynicism. Can do orientation and positive expectations make these folks appear irrational to others. They are easily recognized as the ones flush with newly obtained cash.

[b]Camp Congress[/b] - (FilaBusters) Mascot - Nancy Grace, Colors - Flames
This bunch is diverse, ranging from people who fall in love with a specific horse and spend three weeks explaining it will be the NY hero to the haters that don't like any of the contenders and key on some esoteric fact. What they have in common is the desire to argue and repeat themselves. Invariably the individuals in this group truly believe they are right. They are also prone to multiple sometimes conflicting opinions. They are easily recognized as the ones commanding attention while insisting a 1/4 pt move is relevant.

[b]Camp Mensa[/b] (The Artists) Mascot - Grasshopper. Colors -Varied
This group brings something unique to the conversation. Yet with great panache. Angles vary from inside information, human interest stories, in depth discussions of race dynamics and even book reviews. This group is admirable not for their ho hum batting average but for their slugging percentage. This camp is uniquely eclectic. Their collective voice makes this board interesting as well as educational. It would be coincidental if any two of these characters agreed on rationale even as they end up on the same horse or bet.

So much for another narrative on classification. There are other paradigms and logical constructs I haven't marked out. Please feel free to add your own if you're inclined. I have not detailed the Breeding Camp maybe someone could take that one on as it seems to number many for the Belmont.

It is Sunday Night after an intense weekend where I learned the D'Tara lesson by leaving out the 2nd place horse in my Preakness Trifecta. Very disappointing to be so smart (picked two losers) that I was stupid. I'm still recovering my positivity and just expressing myself somehow distracts from my pain.

JB thanks for your patience with my digressions from the nuts and bolts. The thing with bulletin boards is I guess they are a bit like children and develop a mind of their own and occasionally stray.

Great and memorable Preakness on to the Big Apple!

Subject Written By Posted
A Meta Perspective (650 Views) Tavasco 05/17/2015 11:39PM
Re: A Meta Perspective (346 Views) joemama 05/18/2015 01:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.