Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Derby Post Mortem (1047 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: May 07, 2002 03:38PM

First of all, the decision making was simple- I made the play, and just sold pieces. Watching the race I was rooting for WE to get second also, since I had a pretty good exacta. As it turned out I was better off(luckier)this way.
As far as the sub 6 numbers go, I think yes and no. I tried to get HH and RFP bought after their 3yo debuts(and PD later), and I told the client(and Elliot)that as fast as they were, if you raced them conventionally through the preps they would be going the wrong way by the Derby. My plan was to stop then, and not run until the Bluegrass or Ill. Derby, and I think we would have gotten the top in the Derby. Another advantage to this plan is that if they are short you get the number in the Preakness, and have a relatively fresh horse when others are cooked coming into the Belmont.
I think pace matters in EXTREME cases, like last year, or if they had gone 49. 47 in a mile and a quarter race is not that slow. I would also point out that Spend A Buck went 45 and change.
Finally, I want to say that I think WE vindicates me for Balto Star last year, and not because of the pace differential. As you pointed out, these are ultimately odds plays. The two horses were almost identical, and if they fired were very strong. One ran, one didn't, at prices- big net profit. The bottom line is the bottom line.
Oh, one other unrelated item. I loved Friedman saying on his site that if he had hit the super he would have kept his mouth shut. This from a guy who has posted crowing about hitting an exacta of the favorite over the second choice(which his own fans took him to task about), to say nothing of the claims in Ragozin's book of Friedman giving out a "cold trifecta" in the '86 Belmont.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Derby Post Mortem (2257 Views) derby1592 05/07/2002 03:23AM
Re: Derby Post Mortem (1191 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 05/07/2002 04:19AM
Re: Derby Post Mortem (1047 Views) TGJB 05/07/2002 03:38PM
Re: Derby Post Mortem (1083 Views) Dr. Fager 1:32 05/07/2002 05:33PM
To Chris (1140 Views) Dr. Fager 1:32 05/07/2002 05:57PM
Re: To Chris (1041 Views) derby1592 05/08/2002 03:06AM
Re: Pace Matters In Many If Not Most Cases. (1067 Views) Mall 05/08/2002 12:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.