Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Peaches and Plums, Part I (1093 Views)
Posted by: Fairmount1 (IP Logged)
Date: August 29, 2016 10:31PM

Back in July, my post titled Saratoga West had unknowingly (to me) thrown down the gauntlet at the boys in the backyard at Saratoga. Little did I know the TG Boys had concocted a plan to defend their proverbial “turf” when I came to the Spa. Uncle Bill, richiebee, and FrankD. all welcomed me on late Thursday afternoon barrels loaded for bear, prepared to fire shots of unparalleled excitement and enjoyment at a track and town that is an escape from all reality. When I arrived in the backyard, I had no idea what to expect beyond a beautiful few days at a place everyone enjoys. What happened after that was just a sensational whirlwind of experiences and events that a drug addict’s first high couldn’t top.

After the late pick 4 flew by Thursday, FrankD. took me to Siro’s pointing out trainers, owners of note, and having a few more beers than he originally planned but I was thrilled to talk sports, gambling, the good old days including the fact FrankD was there to see Secretariat. He doesn’t look or act his age whatsoever. He has an infectious personality who enjoys serious handicapping, the horses, gambling, sports, and having a great time with a ton of laughter. His gambling has suffered a bit lately and I think I know why. He has an obsession with Uncle Bill million dollar business ideas distracting him: “Guys, let’s buy a double foldout chair or a couch and have a photo booth with Uncle Bill.” Uncle Bill just said, “Nahhh.” After Uncle Bill criticized belmont3 on Saturday for eating hot dogs and chips (the two worst foods in the world according to Uncle Bill), FrankD yelled, “I’ve got it, how about a TV show titled ‘Uncle Bill on Nutrition’.” After FrankD said this, Uncle Bill plainly offered FrankD. some plums and peaches he brought that day saying “Frank, would you like some plums or peaches?” FrankD declined as I laughed. Later, FrankD said “We need to get Thorograph shirts, hats, umbrellas, chairs, and a tablecloth!!! We could get so rich!” Uncle Bill told the young fellow to calm down but added further, that if they make the hats, they have to be Blue and Black like his Dog Track hat!

After walking downtown Thursday night, I met richiebee at a bar everyone said was now closed when I asked how to get there!! The ‘bee insisted it wasn’t closed as he gave them enough money for alcohol for decades now. After finally finding it, Desperate Anny’s is Desperately Wanting for business and they only accept cash in quite the old school fashion It was perfect to meet some locals. We saw the Mets pounding the Cardinals I hate so much and after one rushed drink that likely brought back memories of richiebee’s single life, he said “Kid, get in the car.” I had little idea where I was going……. Saratoga Harness here we come! My First trip to see harness in person! We passed by Darley’s picturesque Greentree Training Center at night and it is a sight to behold and seeing all of Saratoga at night whether downtown, at the track, or even by GTC is worth the trip alone. The harness track was a sight of its own also....Our admission tickets said we were the 30th and 31st guests admitted for night racing and it was already race 7! The win pool in the final few races we saw had less dough than FrankD bets in a single race at Saratoga. Richiebee forced me to photobomb the winner’s circle photo after race 9 and when that driver/owner buys that picture, he will asking for his money back, you can trust me. The rest of the night is a blur but I remember two things: I was on the Rooftop of City Tavern at some point enjoying the Rooftop View like no other in downtown and that richiebee drugged me on Saratoga Harness racing as another venture to conquer.

Subject Written By Posted
Peaches and Plums, Part I (1093 Views) Fairmount1 08/29/2016 10:31PM
Peaches and Plums, Part II (726 Views) Fairmount1 08/29/2016 10:40PM
Re: Peaches and Plums, Part II (689 Views) Fairmount1 08/29/2016 10:42PM
Re: Peaches and Plums, Part II (651 Views) jerry 08/30/2016 12:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.