Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
A few early thoughts (1649 Views)
Posted by: jimbo66 (IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2016 12:04PM

Haven't seen the TG numbers yet as i am waiting for them to be available this afternoon, but a few early thoughts/themes that are in play this year.

A trap I often fall into with the Breeders Cup races is betting horses that are "over the top". It is late in the racing year, many have had quite a few races and have fired a few big numbers. When a good horse that has run a number of really good races throws in an off race or a slight regression in their last race before the Breeder's Cup, the question becomes - an aberration or a sign of "over the top". It gets trickier when there is some type of excuse that seems valid for the off race. This is the trap i have often fall into.

Again, without seeing numbers, i think a few fit into this category:

1. AP Indian in the Sprint. Fired quite a few big races, I think in the TG negative 2 range. Then ran what I presume is a regression last time where he held on by a nose over an average horse at Keenland. Maybe he didn't like Keenland? Or is he tailing off. I am inclined to think this one is tailing off.

2. Lord nelson - I suspect his TG numbers, earned in California, may make him look a tad slow, but nonetheless, he had fired some nice races until his last, which certainly seems to be a regression. I am not as firm as i was on AP Indian, but again, somewhat inclined to think he is heading the wrong way. (the Baffert factor gives me hesitation)

3. Flintshire - I think the toughest call. I know some here think he was overhyped based on figures, but I am not one of them. Think he is a monster and ran some big figures, while only asked or allowed to run for a small portion of the race. His last was awful. Of course, the soft turf is a big excuse, but it could be he is tailing off as well. I lean towards accepting the excuse, and thinking he is the most likely winner of the BC Turf, but can't fault those that think he is tailing off.

4. Tepin - Didn't look right in the stretch to me in the Woodbine race, in a winning effort. Then looked very average in a strange losing race at Keenland. To me, clearly over the top and a bet against.

Another theme is the fresh horse. Specifically, Baffert training two top contenders in two big races, off of layoffs since August. Drefong in the Sprint and Arrogate in the Classic. Can he get them to fire big shots off the extended layoff? Getting the 6 furlongs off the layoff much easier than the 1 1/4, but this is Baffert, the best trainer in the game, by many counts. Ron Ellis also bringing Masochistic into the Sprint off a layoff I believe (not sure, but think so)

BTW, when was the last BC sprint, which had as little early speed as this year's? Drefong from the inside and Masochistic from the outside look like the speeds. A bunch of mid pack and closer types after that. Interesting.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is the BC Turf sprint which has 3 of the horses with the best early speed in the worst draws, posts 1-2-3, which almost guarantees an insanely fast pace going down the hill.

Have no idea what figure ironicus got in his last and for the most part, i don't care, as the turn of foot he showed late in the Keenland race, being in an impossible position, was breathtaking. With speed on the rail and on the far outside, the BC Turf Mile should be at a fast pace. Expect Ironicus to be VERY VERY hard to beat in that race. Also expect nowhere near 8-1 at post time, unless people somehow never saw replays of the Keenland race.

More thoughts after the TG figs come out.

Good Luck,

Jim

Subject Written By Posted
A few early thoughts (1649 Views) jimbo66 11/01/2016 12:04PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1085 Views) jbelfior 11/01/2016 12:40PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1163 Views) TGJB 11/01/2016 12:58PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1055 Views) FrankD. 11/01/2016 01:55PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1035 Views) Silver Charm 11/01/2016 02:09PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1155 Views) jimbo66 11/01/2016 02:26PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1108 Views) jbelfior 11/01/2016 02:58PM
Re: A few early thoughts (1110 Views) TGJB 11/01/2016 03:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.