Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Monday Night Horseracing (2142 Views)
Posted by: Treadhead (IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2002 12:33PM

Well, since the NTRA can't seem to come up with crap when it comes to marketing ideas, I'll provide this one free of charge.

ABC is in last place in primetime ratings, unless I am mistaken. Find one of their crappy half hour sitcoms and cancel it. Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday would probably be the best night.

Find a corporate advertising sponsor willing to put up $250,000 or so and start a 20-week racing program where during a half-hour weekly show a "feature" race is shown and people get on line and pick a winner. At the end of the series, see if someone stands out with the most winners, go to total payoff of the winners in case of a tie, and worse case, split the money.

The races could come from various tracks already with night programs, and even Santa Anita and Golden Gate end around 730, so if they just added one more race on any night the were hosting the program it would get them to 8pm EST, I don't see that being a big deal. You would get tracks like:

SA/HOL/DMR
BM/GG
SAMH/LoneStar
Mountaineer/Turfway

You can fill the 20 min of actual broadcast time with the following
- Human interest stories, anything that might atrract new fans
- Jockey profile, start with Pincay since he will has recent publicity in the SI Swimsuit Issue. Do a "day in the life" and MTV Cribs type interview
- Full post-parade coverage, details about each horse (owners, where born, how old, racing record)
- Expert pre-race analysis, but done in laymans terms so as not to confuse.
- Beginners Corner - teach about racing conidtions, wagering, and general handicapping principles, how to read a program
- Post race follow-up with explaiations of wager payouts and race analysis

The idea is to start atracting NEW people and drive home the idea that even if you don't get a winner in the first week, there are still 19 weeks left and no one is going to run all 20 races perfect. Maybe you start to get discouraged by the 4th week if you don't have a winner yet, but if the show in entertaining enough by then, maybe you will be hooked to watch the rest. And at worst, I would hope the ratings would be better than whatever is on there now.

I don't think any regulars would mind "dumbed-down" coverage, it would great just to see this on prime time TV. Get polished announcers and do a better job than ESPN does today, I'd be willing to bet they would have no problem pitching this idea to Al Michaels.

On that note, did you guys hear that John Madden is moving to Monday Night Football and Dennis Miller is out (thank god)

Subject Written By Posted
Monday Night Horseracing (2142 Views) Treadhead 02/28/2002 12:33PM
Re: Monday Night Horseracing (1290 Views) TGJB 02/28/2002 12:44PM
Re: NTRA (1332 Views) Treadhead 02/28/2002 03:06PM
Re: Monday Night Horse Racing (1288 Views) charles moran 02/28/2002 01:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.