Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (2567 Views)
Posted by: Tavasco (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2019 10:05PM

Now that the preps are complete we begin to consider in detail what we learned, what impressed us, and generally how to make some money on the Kentucky Derby.

This year's race seems different than years past in some way that I'm trying to ascertain? More than the first time I haven't liked either a Euro or Japanese entry.

Thank goodness we have TG to differentiate the preps. Each of the winners looked bulletproof. That is to say no other horse was threatening the winner. No winner was wilting at the wire.

In the La. Derby By My Standard beat Spinoff & Sueno, I'm unlikely to use any of these in any way. The La. horse is of course War of Will. He is sort of a wildcard. Is he healthy, is a 1+1/4 in his range? Is he a contender? Price s/b there.

In the Florida Derby, Maximum Security had everything his own way and impresses, but I suppose the trainer taints that one some. I liked 2nd place Bodexpress (who Owendale compimented in the Lexington) sure to be a big price, now looks as if he'll need a defection to get in the field..

In the Wood, Tacitus looked great. I have not seen the TG #'s for that race but I expect them to be good. But the track condition and the colts running style are worrisome for me. I want to like any of the top three but fool me once, I've been burnt too many times on Wood come backers in May or June. On my radar in August.

The Blue Grass, Purists say Vekoma runs ugly, they say he paddles? He definitely impressed me. I won't discount a Blue Grass winner. The place horse Win Win Win has impressed repeatedly and c/b a big price use in the Super. Or the 5 deep bet?

Then The Santa Anita Derby on a tricked up track. Deepened and resulting in times different (slower by the clock) than historically. I would not question a Bob Baffert trainer three y/o regardless of time or speed figure remembering Cupid and his Rebel. Game Winner's worst finish is 2nd?

The Arkansas Derby completes the evidence. Omaha Beach maybe the most impressive to date, but some will say the wet track helped. Improbable is very probable to run well in KY imho.

Who does that leave Plus Que Parfait, traditionally the wise guys discount the Dubai shippers, Thunder Snow, Mendelsson, Gronkowski, Lani. The run for the roses has not been kind to really any foreign invaders, despite their other successes.

So I'm thinking I don't have to look further than the top two in any of the preps other than the La. Derby where I'll substitute War of Will and include the top three from the wood.

Now I only have a dozen horses to sequence. Sort of evenly distributed among front runners, pressers and closers. Hey maybe this isn't as tough as I thought. Of course it is, one of the most competitive Ky Derbys in my recollection. And Baffert may not be holding all of the Aces. Yet three Kings is very strong.

Seemingly a tough group to separate. Then consider these colts can improve or regress a couple or three points and that's before adjusting for trip dynamics. If you can't tell I'm excited.

Subject Written By Posted
The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (2567 Views) Tavasco 04/15/2019 10:05PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1155 Views) Molesap 04/16/2019 01:49AM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1025 Views) shanahan 04/16/2019 12:58PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1711 Views) toppled 04/16/2019 02:47PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (982 Views) ajkreider 04/16/2019 05:30PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1093 Views) big18741 04/16/2019 08:21PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1529 Views) Tavasco 04/16/2019 09:25PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1008 Views) RICH 04/16/2019 10:03PM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1011 Views) wrongly1 04/17/2019 07:10AM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (1191 Views) boardedup 04/17/2019 08:09AM
Re: The Kentucky Derby Puzzle (891 Views) RICH 04/17/2019 08:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.