Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Preakness (1596 Views)
Posted by: JR (IP Logged)
Date: May 15, 2019 10:08PM

A very competitive and bettable Preakness

Pattern wise I’m curious to hear others opinions on IMPROBABLE and WAR OF WILL. Improbable’s regression in the derby doesn’t look good on paper but Baffert has brought enough derby alumni back on two weeks rest to win this 7 times. Is this his Lookin At Lucky? As the favorite, I’ll be betting that he’s gassed after the tight spacing of races in his 3yo campaign.

WAR OF WILL is harder to gauge. His last number is a troubled trip toss and we know where he was when he was interfered with. But 2 weeks rest and a still as yet unexplained bomb at the Fairgrounds has me speculating that this horse could have issues. Not my key as the likely second choice.

From the rail out

BOURBON WAR Same question applies. What happened after the FOY? He has had plenty of time to recover from that big new top and a return to it gives him a shot. I’d still like to see this one on the turf being out of an Artie Schiller mare.

WARRIOR’S CHARGE Great line with the nice little forward move in the last, rested and a decent 2yo top. He’ll need to improve a couple of points but he should save all of the ground on the front end and he has Cox in his corner.

IMPROBABLE Defeated Derby favorite coming in off a regression. Fourth race in 8 weeks. I’m betting he’s still recovering from the negative top at Oaklawn and the tight spacing of races. Capable on his best but just one of the others on his B race.

OWENDALE Blossomed big time in the Bluegrass and looked good doing it. Rested and a trainer who clicks at 38% pairups after a new top of better than 1pt. This is 5pts. But his top is amongst the fastest in here and he’s listed at 10-1. I’ll use him in all 3 positions.

MARKET KING On paper has no business being in this race. OXBOW looked better.

ALWAYSMINING has had it pretty easy so far and this will test him but he has a great line and could go forward with him only 2pts better than his 2yo top. If he does, he has a very good chance. At 8-1 he’s my key.

SIGNALMAN has an explosive pattern that often yields a new top. He’ll need one to compete here but at 30-1 I’m using him.

BODEXPRESS I really wanted to use this one after watching him hold his own in the derby until the incident at the 5/16 pole. But, on paper, it looks like they’re trying to do too much with this horse in too short of a period of time after a troubled but, none the less taxing effort in the derby. I’m leaving him out.

EVERFAST On paper he looks misplaced in this race. No number strength. A messy pattern. Nothing for me to like. Especially the memory he brings back of FIRST DUDE, Roman’s other bomb that ruined me in this race.

LAUGHING FOX comes in with a somewhat similar pattern to COUNTRY HOUSE but lacking the 2yo foundation. He could move forward again and Asmussen doesn’t come to Pimlico without a purpose. 20-1 looks pretty enticing.

ANOTHERTWISTAFATE I’m not as excited about this horse as others seem to be but he does have 2 wins at 1 1/8 miles. Coming in off paired tops but they’re not fast and 6-1 is short. I’ll play against him and not lose any sleep over it.

WIN WIN WIN has run some fast sprints but has gotten slower around two turns. My bet is his future is in shorter races. They are adding blinkers which could mean they want him closer to the pace. Drawn wide. I’m leaving him off.

Subject Written By Posted
Preakness (1596 Views) JR 05/15/2019 10:08PM
Re: Preakness (1085 Views) Silver Charm 05/15/2019 11:21PM
Re: Preakness (976 Views) JR 05/16/2019 12:44AM
Re: Preakness (1007 Views) sekrah 05/16/2019 07:05AM
Re: Preakness- DRUGS? (1076 Views) Silver Charm 05/16/2019 09:07AM
Re: Preakness (1072 Views) Mike C 05/16/2019 11:56AM
Re: Preakness (840 Views) atakante 05/16/2019 07:20PM
Re: Preakness (885 Views) Tavasco 05/16/2019 09:37PM
Re: Preakness (958 Views) TempletonPeck 05/16/2019 07:47PM
Re: Preakness (827 Views) JR 05/16/2019 08:13PM
Re: Preakness (908 Views) Molesap 05/16/2019 08:22PM
Re: Preakness (818 Views) JR 05/16/2019 10:39PM
Re: Preakness (1117 Views) T Severini 05/16/2019 10:44PM
Re: Preakness (858 Views) JR 05/17/2019 08:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.