Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
4th at gulfstream 3/2 (1964 Views)
Posted by: charles moran (IP Logged)
Date: March 05, 2002 09:51AM

TGJB or TGAB,
i just got back from tampa so i'm sorry i couldn't ask you sooner. i was wondering how you would have interpreted Ponche's Image's line. i keyed him underneath the top three choices and lost. otherwise the day wasn't bad thanks to fafnir later on the card. i'll say one thing, new york tracks aren't the ones in need of video lottery terminals. it's kind of sad to see such thin fields on saturdays down there.

by the way, i always wanted to ask you a question about ground loss versus individual horses' running styes. i ran into alan upstate two years ago and asked about a NWX1 horse (it may have been Rate Base) who seemed to be getting sucked along to fourth and fifth-palce finishes. however, he had earned some very competitive figures, which were concealed due to the fact that he'd been running wide quite frequently. he was something like 20-1 that day, despite his good numbers and ran out. however, alan said he wouldn't play him, citing prior disappointments.
i was curious to know at what point one gives up on such horses? do either of you, or anybody else out there, look at figures earned on certain part of the tracks, maybe similarly to the way another poster mentioned that figures should be interpreted by track surface and specific tracks? i'm not talking about track biases presumably affecting all horses, but horses always preferring to be wide (e.g. young horses off the rail).
also, trainers for instance, especially in california, are generally hesitant about horses starting from the one post... is there anything you guys do to determine whether or not certain horses aren't benefitting from 1w1w notations and may perhaps prefer to be 3w3w, for instance?
thanks
(remember www.abebooks.com!)

Subject Written By Posted
4th at gulfstream 3/2 (1964 Views) charles moran 03/05/2002 09:51AM
Re: 4th at gulfstream 3/2 (1198 Views) TGJB 03/05/2002 12:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.