Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Here is the list (1145 Views)
Posted by: Mark O'Keeffe (IP Logged)
Date: March 09, 2002 08:33AM

Chris,

In regard to your list, of those mentioned, I tossed every horse mentioned except for Captain Steve and I think High Yield for reasons regarding breeding.

Your point about sub 6 figures as a 2yo is a noteworthy one, and one that causes me some concern regarding my pick this year, Repent.

However, I was in a similar situation in 1993 when the horse I touted for 6 months, Sea Hero entered the Derby after a 4th place finish. Part of my criteria was that every winner of the Derby had an on the board finish in his final prep. Sea Hero finished 4th in Blue Grass after a troubled trip which certainly cost him 3rd money.
I had this discussion when I was a co host of a radio show in New Mexico with a fellow handicapper from New York who went by the moniker "The Rabbi". We had a great back and forth about Sea Hero. After the race, "The Rabbi" had conceded that if Sea Hero ran 3rd in the BG, he would have picked him to win the Derby.
Which brings me to the sub 6 TG figures. In this day and age of breeding for speed as opposed to stamina, horses are running faster numbers earlier in thier lives than ever before. They may not be around as 4 yo's (entire Derby field of last year)but we are dealing with the now and not the later. And right now, Repent has very little competition. If he stays sound and McPeek doesn't get cheated again (Oh no, not that story again LOL), Repent is like Sea Hero, a mortal lock to win the 2002 Derby.
(BTW, Sea Hero paid $36.40 to win at the NM tracks in the days of seperate wagering pools. Bet my last $200 ($100 WP) on him. It was a great day. Unfortunately, Repent will be 5-2 at post time, or less.

Best wishes,
Mark

Subject Written By Posted
The cursed Sub 6.0 2yo figs (1884 Views) bdhsheets 03/08/2002 10:49PM
Here is the list (1208 Views) derby1592 03/09/2002 12:45AM
Re: Here is the list (1145 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 03/09/2002 08:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.