Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Pace analysis cont... (1150 Views)
Posted by: HP (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2002 09:13AM

You are right, I was talking more in general. The Derby is unique. In terms of getting the mile and 1/4, I think the breeding is going to be more important than the pace, although I have seen in recent years that quantifying breeding (dosage, etc.) is another tough issue. Accepted values are changing. A horse wins and they back-date the chef-de-race ratings and poof!, now you know. Of course, after the race. And then when you think you've got some insight on this, it turns into the kind of race where pace is a little more important.

The Derby is also unique in the sense that it is a huge field and a roughly run race. Many horses wilt in the crowd and it's tough to say what the precise cause was. Could be the pace and it could be they don't like getting knocked around like a pinball.

I would say in the ten years or so I've played the Derby with TG, the TG figures and patterns account for the results more than any of the other factors. It's not like I've seen anything that was a huge surprise based on pace or breeding. Probably the biggest surprise winner to me was Charismatic. How could he jump up eight points and pair up on short rest? But it's not like he wasn't fast enough going in (I think he ran a 3 in the...Lexington?). Not to say I always get it. I managed to key a bomber last year (Invisible Ink) and didn't see a nickel. Thought Monarchos would back up, but he was fast enough going in. I bet they will zig and they zag. It happens. My only regret is not including them at reasonable prices, but since there are usually a few strong contenders, my temptation is always to try to eliminate SOMEONE. This year I'm going to try to be more inclusive (if necessary) since often the payoffs are worth the extra investment here.

I don't think pace is generally a huge factor in the Derby because the field is usually big enough that there are going to be a few in there to insure an honest pace. And then either one of the pacesetters hangs around to get in the picture or they set it up and get blown by in the stretch. It's pretty rare where you get a 'lone speed' or even a 'no speed' scenario. It's usually a fast pace (or at least honest - in the 45-47 for 1/2 range), and I end up looking more at the other angles.

I've experimented a little with the BRIS numbers, and it sounds like you have some good insights on using them. I find it tough to look back and forth between too many different things, and with the BRIS, the TG, the board and figuring out the best bet for the situation (man I stink at this), I would love to whittle things down a bit. I'll give it another whirl at some point. HP

Subject Written By Posted
Pace analysis cont... (1851 Views) Treadhead 03/11/2002 05:33PM
Re: Pace analysis cont... (1150 Views) HP 03/12/2002 09:13AM
Re: This theory appears to be different (1156 Views) Mall 03/12/2002 11:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.