Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Beginners guide to pace (1896 Views)
Posted by: Treadhead (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2002 10:57AM

OK, you guys have really got me thinking about the right way to articulate this, so I'll try to take a shot. Granted this may be giving away some trade secrets, but what the hell.

The basic premise here is all based on what is the affect of pace on what TG# a horse MIGHT BE ABLE TO RUN TODAY. This type of analysis should be done in coordination with, not exclusive from, other TG methodology from pattern reads, bounce projects, etc.

SITUATIONS WHERE PACE CAN LEAD TO A SMALL TG ADJUSTMENT

1) As mentioned in earlier posts, the clearest example of this is a horse who will be on the lead alone, or possibly be able to save ground because of speed. I'm thinking back to the Breeder's Cup Turf that Buck's Boy won. That year there were many horses right around the 4 range, but Bucks Boy was a lone speed play and that caused me to expect a better number out of him than his competetors.

2) A pace analysis determines there will be TOO MANY horses near the lead. This leads to speed duels and horses tiring more quickly than normal. A great example of this was this year's SA Big Cap. Several horses appeared capable of running a 2, leading to a very difficult looking race on TG #s. A pace analysis, however, showed that there would be lots of horses on the front end, likely to tire each other out. I used Futural, Cagney, and Milwaukee Brew in my pick3s and pick4s. Why? Because they had the highest late-end BRIS pace ratings. Actually Milwaukee Brew had earned a 127 late pace rating in his last race, which had been the highest of all the contenders.

SITUATIONS WHERE PACE CAN LEAD TO AN ABNORMALLY LARGE TG ADJUSTMENT

1) A horse running longer than ever previously attempted and has larger late-end pace figures. The most common occurance of this is in younger horses, frequently in maiden races. A horse may look awful on a TG sheet, but if the races were all sprints with pace figures that look like (60-70-90), there's a good chance for a dramatic, abnormal improvement when stretching out.

The converse is also true of those horses streching out who run more on the front end. The derby is a great example of this where you see horses with solid lines but front-end loaded pace figures throw in a double-digit effort.

2) Horses shortening up after a route or series of routes. These are great horses to play when the pace figures look like (90-90-50) on a route and that probably equates to a 15 on TG, but now in a 6 furlong race there is a potential for a large jump up because you can tell from previous pace figures that the horse will greatly appreciate the long distance.

3) Tracks with severe speed/rail biases. This years FG meet and previous Keenland meets come to mind. Find the horse that will be fast enough to get to the rail and even if the TG figures are horrible, you may catch a bomb in the trifecta.

4) Horses coming down the 6.5 turf at Santa Anita that have larger back-end pace figures. I LOVE these races, this has been my bread and butter this winter. Speed is WAY overbet (and not helpful) in these races.

Hope this is a little more helpful summary...

Subject Written By Posted
Beginners guide to pace (1896 Views) Treadhead 03/13/2002 10:57AM
Re: Beginners guide to pace (1211 Views) HP 03/13/2002 11:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.