Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Beginners guide to pace (1212 Views)
Posted by: HP (IP Logged)
Date: March 13, 2002 11:42AM

This is interesting. A few comments.

Re: Buck's Boy. "That year there were many horses right around the 4 range, but Bucks Boy was a lone speed play and that caused me to expect a better number out of him than his competetors."

As I recall, this was a three turn race. You can look at this as a pace issue, but you can also simply give Buck's Boy credit for ground loss (and lack thereof). Since Buck's Boy is going to be in the 1 path all the way around (I think he also started from the rail), if he runs his 4 again, other horses are going to have to run MUCH better to beat him (assuming equal weights - especially with 3 turns) to make up for this 1 path edge.

The point being, Buck's Boy did not have to run a better number than his competitors. If he runs a 4 and they run 4's, they're going to lose unless they can save more ground, which was unlikely.

JB or others can correct me on this, but in TG handicapping, 'pace' is often factored in on this 'ground loss' basis (i.e., in considering pace scenarios, the front runners should get credit for saving ground, and if two horses are going to run 4's, the one that's going to lose all the ground may have to run a 2 or better to get in the picture).

I remember this becuase I used Buck's Boy in Pick 3's but I liked Hawksley Hill and tossed Da Hoss.

Stretchouts - I have done MUCH better playing horses who have shown early speed when they figure to have this early edge over a field of routers. The whole key being that the horse is going to be able to carry his speed further running a half in 47-48 as opposed to the 45-46's he's been running in sprints. This works well in the 1-1/16 or 1-1/8 races but going further I tend to mark them down regardless. In my observation, horses who run late in sprints run late in the routes too.

Turnbacks - I like them a lot more if they are in 6-7f races where there figures to be a speed duel. If there isn't a hot pace, their stretch edge is greatly diminished.

Obviously these observations are not based on the BRIS or other pace figures. I'm sure pace figures can give you a more accurate picture than the racing form, but this is how I've been playing them. I find the TG trainer data is very helpful, since some trainers are really focused on this kind of thing and some aren't.

If your angles work more power to you. I'm sure there are specific situations (like the KEE and SA stuff you mention) where this kind of analysis is very valuable. HP

Subject Written By Posted
Beginners guide to pace (1900 Views) Treadhead 03/13/2002 10:57AM
Re: Beginners guide to pace (1212 Views) HP 03/13/2002 11:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.