Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: 0-2-X pattern (1103 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2002 02:03AM

Michael,

If the "0" is really ugly then an 0-1 or 0-2 or 0-3 (any subsequent effort) may very well point to an "X" next out. Of course, it all depends on many other factors but it is usually a good pattern to bet against since often such horses are low-priced favorites.

Often (and I am not sure why) such horses then come back to throw in another good effort but it is usually the last one for a while (it is not a good pattern long term).

A great example was in the ROTW this week. In Dig For It's 6yo year he ran a very ugly top in May then showed the 0-2-X followed by another good race equal to his top, and then it took almost a year to get back to it again.

Another good example in the same race was Macaneo. He showed an 0-3 heading into the Gold Cup and then X'd.

In the same race Dollar Bill showed an 0-1 heading into the Gold Cup and probably X'd but his top could have been considered healthy and I did not really consider it the same when I looked at the race although Dollar Bill looked weak to me for some other reasons.

I hope that helps. I don't think there is anything magical about the "2" part but I could be wrong.

The important thing is was the top "ugly" or "healthy" or something in between and was the next race also an effort (I would say anything within 3 pts of the top that is also a secondary top). That is a weak next-race betting pattern (and a weak longer-term pattern) but could present a betting opportunity immediately following the X.

Hope that helps.

I would be interested in hearing some other opinions on this one.

Chris

Subject Written By Posted
0-2-X pattern (1646 Views) Michael D. 07/16/2002 09:37PM
Re: 0-2-X pattern (1103 Views) derby1592 07/17/2002 02:03AM
Re: 0-2-X pattern (860 Views) Point Given Gal-Michelle 07/17/2002 02:35PM
Re: 0-2-X pattern (914 Views) Point Given Gal-Michelle 07/17/2002 02:37PM
You're Welcome (867 Views) derby1592 07/18/2002 02:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.