Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
2 Qs for JB/AB & 1 Message for the Dittos (2056 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2002 12:01PM

First the Qs, which I understand in advance might be viewed as a distraction for those involved in the time-consuming & demanding task of running a business, something I happen to know a little bit about. However, in a few hrs I'm leaving on a 9 day trip to a no-internet access locale(no doubt welcome news to some), which should give you an opportunity to fit these Qs into your busy schedules.
(1)My reason for the detailed rejoinder to the decision to summarily dismiss KAN as a Donn contender was because it appeared(correct me if I'm wrong) to be based on the "8 weeks to recover from a top" theory which, if true, surprised me a great deal. My memory, which is concededly not perfect, is that this idea originated with Robes many yrs ago & while I respect his & your handicapping acumen, the Q I have had from the start & which remains unanswered to this day is this: Where exactly is the hard evidence which supports the general rule, let alone its broad application in a wide variety of circumstances, including cases where the horse's line(i.e.KAN) shows just the opposite? The only "answer" I have ever heard, again many yrs ago, is that the theory is based on a reading of many sheets. In contrast, trainers & vets say, and have been quoted many times as saying, that some horses thrive & improve on frequent racing, which used to be called taking a regular turn. It is something players confront on a regular basis in the figures themselves. Absent supporting evidence, it seems to this handicapper that the "8 week" rule is in serious need of rexamination.
(2)The weight discussion was entertaining, but there is obviously nothing anyone can say which impacts the laws of physics, which is why I solicited the opinion of someone in the field. His preliminary off-the-top opinion was enough, in my view at least, to cast doubt on a fundamental assumption, raising the same Q re supporting evidence. Conceptually, I question the continued use of what very well may turn out to be insignificant weight differences to split hairs among very evenly matched horses.
In this Chinese yr of the horse, my message to the Dittos, a few of which I have come to think of as "Jerry's Kids", is one which permeates my posts: Ask questions. Be skeptical of theories based on the assumption that one size fits all. Above all, try thinking for yourself for a change. In the end, your will enjoy this great sport of ours so much more, especially when you're right.

Subject Written By Posted
2 Qs for JB/AB & 1 Message for the Dittos (2056 Views) Mall 02/10/2002 12:01PM
Re: (1900 Views) tgab 02/12/2002 03:26PM
Re: Encouraging Response (1385 Views) Mall 02/20/2002 03:30PM
Re: Provocative comments (1435 Views) Alydar in California 02/20/2002 08:38PM
Re: (1379 Views) Mall 02/21/2002 05:54PM
Re: Joe McCarthy? (1451 Views) Alydar in California 02/22/2002 05:33AM
Re: Alydar: Huh? (1434 Views) Mall 02/25/2002 11:29AM
Re: (6835 Views) Alydar in California 02/26/2002 05:37AM
Re: (1450 Views) Richie 02/26/2002 08:21AM
Re: (1375 Views) TGJB 02/26/2002 12:46PM
Re: Pt By Pt Rebuttal (1573 Views) Mall 02/26/2002 04:30PM
Re: (1348 Views) Alydar in California 02/27/2002 05:04AM
Re: (1405 Views) HP 02/27/2002 09:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.