Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
BC Post Mortem (979 Views)
Posted by: P-Dub (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2014 12:20AM

Let me also add that the analysis given out with the TG data was nothing short of sensational. Combined with the data made for a very powerful weapon.

Early Friday I met fellow TG member banditbeau. Terry PM'd me about Santa Anita, and he ended up in my section. We talked about the races all weekend. Terry, pleasure to meet you and your wife. I enjoyed the conversations immensely.

I didn't see any value Friday until the 4th race. Cary Street was 8/1 ML in the 2nd, got hammered down to 5/2, so I used him with Sky Kingdom in the P3. Singled My Fiona in the 3rd (just an absolute standout on TG), and singled Long On Value in the 4th (Wasn't that horse aptly named). Win bet, exacta, and the P3 three times got me almost $1100. That horse not only had the fastest number in the race, but her pattern was a thing of beauty.

Missed the next race with a live P3 ticket to Declassify, Magic Mark, and Bahamian Squall. BS ran 2nd.

Really thought Tapiture had a big shot in the Dirt Mile, and after seeing Goldencents hustle to the lead and set blazing fractions, thought I was good. Tapiture ranged up, looked ready to go by, but Goldencents dug in and said not today. Tremendous performance by that colt. Little saver exacta that was inconsequential.

Missed with Sivoliere in the Juv Filly Turf race, and tried Iotapa in the Distaff. Cashed a small trifecta ticket.

Only really hit the one race that paid anything decent, but that made my day.

I didn't get a chance to meet up with Roger and JB at last year's BC, so Roger contacted me and invited me for a drink at a restaurant in Pasadena. Introduced ourselves and shortly thereafter JB came strolling in. I laughed when he said I wasn't what he expected. Kind of like when you are going on a blind date, and your date is just smoking hot. Ok, maybe not like that.

So the 5 of us (Billy and Gene, great guys were also part of the group) had a couple drinks and chatted. I remember 2 things specifically: JB said he would book any bet to show on Artemis Agotera (correct), and that Texas Red had a big shot in the Juvenile (correct again). 15 minutes go by, and JB big times us by saying he has to go to a Bobby Flay party. Really?? P-Dub in the house, and you skate?? All good JB. It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet you, and I look forward to the next time we meet.

My wife didn't join me, she was exhausted, so I had cancelled our dinner reservation and planned on taking something back to the hotel. Roger was nice enough to invite me to join them, so the 4 of us had a great dinner. Couple bottles of wine (being the resident Californian, I was elected to pick the wine), great food. The conversation was fantastic, talking about the races that day and the next, and listening to Gene tell stories and spilling wine all over the table.

I was too tired to do any handicapping when I got back around 10:30 or so. I usually go to bed around 3am, and that morning got up at 4:30am to catch my flight.

Saturday we get to the track early again. First things first, Corned Beef sandwich on rye. Mustard and pickles. Santa Anita has a really good corned beef sandwich, I get one every time I go. Luckily there was nothing early in the card which gave me time to take an hour to cap and write down my contenders.

Loved Dayatthespa in the 5th. Had a win ticket and started the P3 with her.

6th race Judy The Beauty at 3/1 made for a nice key in the Pick 3 but thats all I did with her.

7th race I played Silentio to win and watched him run dead last. Spread in the P3 so I did hit the P3 for $351, and was alive in the P3 going forward.

8th Race was the Juvenile and before the race Roger texts me to play the 7 horse, Texas Red which was the horse JB mentioned the night before. Win ticket, $10 exacta box with 13 Upstart. Keyed both the 7 and 13 in the trifecta, hitting the all button in the 2nd and 3rd spot on separate tickets. I figure if they win and hit the board, and a bomb stumbles in somewhere it would pay huge.

I'm sitting in Section O, right around the 8th pole, and I watch as Texas Red roars out of the turn and opens up. They ain't catching him, and as Upsatart starts to pull away from the pack in 2nd I get very excited. On the far outside Carpe Diem comes flying and nails Upstart on the wire. Fu.........! No exacta, smaller trifecta. That nose cost me at at least $1000, probably closer to $1500. Settled for the win ticket and trifecta. Left out the 6 in the 7th race on my P3, even though I used her on another P3 going forward. Brilliant move.

Now here is where I just did the stupidest thing I've done in a long time. I played a 1-2-3 in the last leg of the P3 ending in the 9th race, but in the P3 I started in the 8th race I included the 12 with the 1-2-3. Now a person that isn't an idiot would have just gone up and put $100 or so on the 12 to win. This genius gets cute, keys him in a trifecta, and misses. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but i did it. I even told my wife if I lose the P3 the 12 will beat me. So of course, the 12 beats me.

So I have another live P3 ticket going to the sprint, 4-7-8. Yeah, I played Palace. Watched as the 13 stalked and didn't back up while my 4 tried desperately to grind him down. Another miss at a nice payout.

Missed the Mile, as a Euro 1st Lasix strikes again. One of these years I will listen to myself when I say beware of 1st Lasix Euros, Figures don't matter. Just include them.

I have Bayern listed as my top Classic choice. After deciding that Moreno will hound him the entire race, change my mind and play Cigar Street. Even though a horse with GP numbers has won, I dunno, like never at SA at the BC?? If not, it sure seems like it. Bayern wins.

I thought the horse should have been DQ'd too.

I say my goodbyes to Terry, and on the way out my wife and I stop by the merchandise tent. I get her a purple vest thing, $59 bucks. Its amazing how I would think long and hard about buying that if I were at a store any other day. At the track with extra money in your pocket? WTF, why not. I did come out ahead for the weekend, but was really disappointed that I didn't win more. The data and analysis were perhaps the best I've seen at a BC, and there have been BC that were outstanding.

For those lamenting that the BC has been held at SA for the past 3 years....I can't imagine a better place to hold it. The weather is usually great (the rain was really inconsequential this year), it comfortably holds a large crowd, lots of hotels in the area, large parking lot, beautiful facility. The only downside is that it favors West Coast horses and the East Coast horses seem to struggle a bit. For horsemen that's an issue, for handicappers I don't see it as a problem.

Hope you all had an enjoyable and profitable weekend.

P-Dub

Subject Written By Posted
BC Post Mortem (979 Views) P-Dub 11/03/2014 12:20AM
Re: BC Post Mortem (654 Views) Tavasco 11/03/2014 12:39AM
Re: BC Post Mortem (572 Views) joemama 11/03/2014 03:56AM
Re: BC Post Mortem (725 Views) johnnym 11/03/2014 07:03AM
Re: BC Post Mortem (723 Views) miff 11/03/2014 09:35AM
Re: BC Post Mortem (622 Views) banditbeau 11/03/2014 09:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.