Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Sledge Hammer (1016 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: May 20, 2004 02:38PM

Smarty may get beat June 5th and he may race long enough that the shine goes off the apple and people stop comparing him to the great horses of the past. But assuming he is somewhat special, I've been contemplating why? Why is this littlish horse out of a solid but unspectacular pedigree the running machine he currently is? Why?

He was fast early. His second race he ran a Zed. If you look at his T-Form, he could bounce and in all likelihood still win. Why was he so fast so early and why is he fast now? Did you all see the end of those last two races? I'm not the greatest trip handicapper, (Note confusion with Tapit), but I saw a horse doing it on his own and post wire still looking like he was enjoying himself and wanting to do more. I'm sure Smarty could have run a 1:54 and change on Pimlico day and the track was somewhat heavy. Servis has said "We haven't gotten to the bottom of him. We can't get him tired." Thats a trainer talking, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I haven't seen this horse reach down or get tired either. He's got more speed than hes showing and large reserves of stamina. I wonder if a horse is fortunate enough to surprise him by drawing into him late, if that horse can really hope to get by. We don't know yet. The race pace could allow it. It's a matter of circumstances.

Mike Smith said this of Smarty's Preakness:

"Sometimes it looks like Stewart's riding him, but it's like he's just pedaling along next to you, like, 'Okay, I'm here.' Like it's no big deal," Smith said. "When we went around the turn, I look over and he's got both ears forward like he's out for a Sunday stroll."

I've seen the same thing. I've seen this horse enjoying the race. The other thing is he's just got the perfect pace style for a good horse. He has speed to avoid problems and isn't too head-strong to rate. He's the perfect pace race horse. A real hot pace could be his nemisis, but so far we haven't seen one develope.

Still you go back to, "Why is this horse like he is"? I don't have any real reason for saying this, but I think that gate mishap before he ever ran made him a better horse. I think it settled him down and as strange as it seems I'm suspecting it made him faster. "How can you say that Chuckles...you goofball?" I can't really answer that. Impulse transmission? I don't know, but I get the feeling that knock on the head made him a better racehorse. I'd hate to see it utilized as a training technique though. I can see Bobby Frankel sledging each of his two year olds in turn.

CtC

Subject Written By Posted
Sledge Hammer (1016 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/20/2004 02:38PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (479 Views) MO 05/20/2004 05:59PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (495 Views) magicnight 05/20/2004 06:18PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (440 Views) MO 05/20/2004 08:49PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (489 Views) jimbo66 05/20/2004 06:19PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (541 Views) Michael D. 05/20/2004 08:55PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (549 Views) Silver Charm 05/20/2004 09:32PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (614 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/21/2004 01:17AM
Adios Amigo (431 Views) Mall 05/20/2004 09:29PM
Re: Sledge Hammer (475 Views) fasteddie 05/21/2004 09:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.