Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (838 Views)
Posted by: Silver Charm (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2004 08:23AM

Saw Tom Durkin being interviewed on NBC Saturday during the golf on a very fortuitous for Racing rain delay. Durkin was doing a little promoting of The Big Day coming and made mention of the fact that when Secretariat posted his momentus victory there were 67,000 people in attendance, Saturday they are expecting something TWICE that.

Last week I had told a friend of mine as we were firming up plans for ourselves that I was predicting ALL KINDS OF RECORDS BEING BROKEN. Viewer Ship, Head-Count, handle, eyeballs, clicks, pops you name it.

After hearing Durkin I’m convinced I’m right and am becoming increasingly concerned that Racing itself will not be up for the task. This is the two donut sport as in when the Track General Mgr says, “What kind of day was it today”? The help respond, “A good day only two Dunkin Donuts were left in the grandstand refreshments tray”. Somewhere out there you can actually envision some Track Mgmt saying,”If we run out everything by the fifth race we can send all the help home and make out like bandits, both a good sales day and cut our labor cost in half.”

Wagering may resemble the verse from the hit Eagles song Hotel California, “You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave.” How about as in, “You can stand in line all day, but you can never get down.” There are going to be firstime starters all over the place who are going to be bringing bets out for everyone ranging from Granny and Jed Clampett, to Aunt Bea and Maude. Or even worse Maude is directly in front of you at the window when you hear Tom Durkin utter the words, “One More to Load”.

These comments are by no means restricted to Belmont Park; this is applicable to every wagering outlet in the country. I went to the Program Stand at Churchill Downs on Ky Oaks Day and the women barked, “We’re SOLD OUT go stand in line down at the other stand”. They had only run three races so far that day.

TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL. Put the best, most helpful, smiling face on that you have ever had Racing. You will be amazed at the results.

This could be the Second Biggest Sporting Event Day of the Year behind only the Super Bowl. I don’t think anyone really knows how big this day COULD POSSIBLY BE and Racing always has a tendency to underestimate and go cheap. Don’t be stupid BET ON YOURSELF. Even if it means you lose a few bucks, take it from the advertising budget if you have too. People will come back if they have a good time.

I advise anyone who is thinking of going TO GO, if Smarty wins you will want to say you were watching and wagering. There really is no greater fun, and in every race you have a home team if you know what I mean. This day might be as rare as seeing Haley’s Comet.

Subject Written By Posted
What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (838 Views) Silver Charm 06/01/2004 08:23AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (446 Views) MInfurna 06/01/2004 08:57AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (454 Views) Silver Charm 06/01/2004 09:04AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (447 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 06/01/2004 01:55PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (467 Views) Kimmel Factor 06/01/2004 03:35PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (352 Views) TGJB 06/01/2004 03:36PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (455 Views) 06/01/2004 04:42PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (537 Views) brokerstip 06/01/2004 04:59PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (437 Views) OPM 06/01/2004 05:26PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (449 Views) shanahan 06/01/2004 10:13PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (454 Views) OPM 06/01/2004 11:10PM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (443 Views) trackjohn 06/02/2004 12:42AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (406 Views) trackjohn 06/02/2004 12:47AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (450 Views) OPM 06/02/2004 12:53AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (467 Views) trackjohn 06/02/2004 08:11AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (529 Views) asfufh 06/02/2004 10:29AM
Re: What if Smarty is Ready to Go, but Racing Isn’t ?? (490 Views) gowand 06/02/2004 09:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.