Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
This Weeks Kentucky Derby Preps (1868 Views)
Posted by: Tavasco (IP Logged)
Date: March 21, 2017 03:50AM

To start with I'll make a conditional assertion. Which is the UAE Derby will be the most significant KD prep of 2017, or of this week, or not depending on:

a: If two possibly three horses make the trip to Kentucky. [b]Epicaris[/b] is already qualified I believe. [b]Adirato[/b] is no slouch (IMO) and lightly raced and will be competitive @ a good price.

b. O'Brien [b]Lancaster Bomber[/b] TG 7 has already beaten most of what the US could offer up albeit on turf in the BC (his VISA c/b still valid) and [b]Spirit of Valor[/b] seemingly with dirt potential. If either of these two come a visiting well now!

Three tourists from the group above would add a lot of interest to the storyline of the 2017 "Run For The Roses." Even [b]Thunder Snow[/b] from Godolphin might ship if he runs well.

c: [b]Master Plan[/b] an $850K OBS purchase and FL winner (Pletcher), [b]Vettori Kin[/b] who I believe is technically a 4 y/o in Norte Americano (McPeek) looking for some cash, there is a $2M purse the former cash and derby points.

d: The race is 1+3/16m and contending at that distance some consider more meaningful than a shorter distance.

e: I hope making numbers for a race like this is easier than I imagine. Supposing the presence of Master Plan and a couple other that have run in the US should help some.

The Contenders?

1 The Spiral
Sure to draw a field of ?'s some of which c/b Animal Kingdom reincarnated but probably not. Truly one of the odder preps run each year. A difficult race to get very excited about for any but true aficionados. However, I am supportive of the TV series getting renewed for a second season.

2. The Mine That Bird (Sunland) Derby and I'll be the first to say produced a truly exciting Derby winner along with a real life story worthy of a movie script. This years edition looks interesting with big name trainers coming to town. I like this race because they invariable run fast early and crawl home late. Like some of my Friday nights of years past! The winner if he goes on to Kentucky is usually a favorite of the long shot loonies. Interesting race but locale lacks the skyscrapers of Dubai.

While the Florida Derby, The Wood, The Santa Anita Derby, The Louisianan and Arkansas Derbies are all coming up soon with each tossing in one possibly two Derby contenders this week Dubai is the centerpiece. I better begin my training now in order to get up early enough.

So from today's perspective the UAE Derby looks the most significant prep this year, or week.

Subject Written By Posted
This Weeks Kentucky Derby Preps (1868 Views) Tavasco 03/21/2017 03:50AM
Re: This Weeks Kentucky Derby Preps (1034 Views) boardedup 03/24/2017 03:27PM
Re: This Weeks Kentucky Derby Preps (891 Views) boston 03/24/2017 04:01PM
Re: This Weeks Kentucky Derby Preps (1015 Views) ajkreider 03/24/2017 04:03PM
Cosmo! (931 Views) TempletonPeck 03/24/2017 11:19PM
Re: Cosmo! (977 Views) Tavasco 03/25/2017 01:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.