Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
A view from Europe (1057 Views)
Posted by: Kingfisher (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2004 04:09PM

I left the States several days before the Belmont to take a position in Switzerland for 9 months. Try as I might, I was not able to find any television coverage. Unfortunately also, the computer I am using wasn't compatible for video with my online account, so I still have not seen the race, only the chart. I can report that Brisbet did not have any problem with Internet activity. To my disgust, as I certainly did not foresee Birdstone.

On Sunday I did happen to catch the French Derby on TV, however. The Swiss OTB shops only book French racing and I haven't so far been able to find an equivalent to the Racing Form or Thorograph, so better for me to be able to pass on it. But the TV show put NBC's coverage of the Triple Crown races to shame. Every horse had a camera with him, at least for some time, from the barn right up to loading in the gate. There was a camera mounted on a track over the starting gate so you could see each horse as it loaded. The race was followed by several cameras next to the horses so you had closeups during the race. It really was unbelievable. And cameras followed the winning jockey into the locker room, where all of the other jockeys were giving him hugs. And when have you seen Gary Stevens half naked kissing the winning jockey on both cheeks? (His horse finished way back). It was a very exciting race, also. A 33-1 shot came from midpack to just nip the 3-2 favorite. The whole broadcast, even though it was in French, was just so much more than what we get in the States. None of the little manufactured side stories. No closeups of Santos' kid crying, or the owner of Smarty Jones struggling in his wheel chair to negotiate an escalator to get to the winner's circle. And they immediately went back to the replays to determine the final unofficial order of finish for the viewers. NBC would do well to take a tip from the French regarding racing broadcasts.

One last question. Can anyone point me in the direction of handicapping tools for French racing? Are any numbers approximating Thorograph available, especially ones that take ground loss into consideration?

Thanks,

Kingfisher

Subject Written By Posted
A view from Europe (1057 Views) Kingfisher 06/08/2004 04:09PM
Re: A view from Europe (470 Views) TGJB 06/08/2004 04:29PM
Re: A view from Europe (441 Views) magicnight 06/08/2004 07:23PM
Re: A view from Europe (484 Views) P.Eckhart 06/08/2004 08:40PM
Re: A view from Europe (397 Views) gowand 06/08/2004 08:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.