Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (943 Views)
Posted by: PlanetHellmers (IP Logged)
Date: October 09, 2018 06:23PM

Gentlemen,
I appreciate everyone's responses here as this is a touchy controversial subject. I think it's important to ask these types of questions as an industry, similar to every other sport- NFL, Olympic swimming/cycling, MLB, etc. Yes, I can see how people might interpret my respectful style as more gentle, but when you ask hard questions to someone at a high level, you gotta give them respect or the interview will be over and unpublished. I was not starstruck rather just stating the facts that he is unarguably one of the best to ever train hand down, regardless of how many horses he goes through to get there. I also wanted to know about his superstars out of my own curiosity.

I spoke to Baffert for 3 hours and he was quite forthcoming on-and-off-camera. By nature I'm polite so take that for what you will. I asked him dozens of other questions off-camera regarding the heart attacks of his horses, to the rate poison, to EPO masking, to Clenbuterol, to nearly everything I've ever heard a horseplayer question. He came across as a stand-up man who trains above board without any shadiness. That's my bottom line. He wasn't nervous and he showed a lot of confidence and class. Baffert also acknowledged his horses are tested out of performance quite often and none have ever tested positive for anything other than what is public from many years ago.

So let's pause for a minute and think out loud. There are many ways to get a horse to develop and perhaps his training techniques, treatments, or supplementation before they reach the track are hinged to his success. If so, that is all legal and if that's his edge, then so be it. Perhaps he is doing something legal that is proprietary based on science but without doping. Perhaps nutrition matters more than people think. I don't know how he does it as his win percentage in Triple Crown races appears unfathomable to me, but I'm going to believe him given how easy it would be for someone to make a million off a book deal if others were involved. Furthermore, to make the claim that he is drugging his horses days or weeks pre-race appears difficult to back up at this time given my discussions with Dr. Arthur and others. I will soon air another video from Dr. Arthur to share the current state of the California industry on drug testing. It's first class.

Sorry to disappoint you all (lol) but at least I had the courage to ask him hard questions and at least he had the courage to ask back on-camera. No one has ever had that candid of a conversation with him (or any trainer) on such a tough topic before. Thanks for watching it and stay tuned for more interviews, questions, and opinions to come. I will also be broadcasting some live observations and commentary during Breeders' Cup this year from my home aka "The Passion Mansion" while I compete for a chance to win a $1M bonus. I hope you all look forward to more rugged journalism to come rather than the brown nosing news...bless up.

Subject Written By Posted
Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (1911 Views) joemama 10/07/2018 01:10AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (967 Views) johnnym 10/07/2018 09:16AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (897 Views) Dana666 10/08/2018 02:00PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (852 Views) Boscar Obarra 10/08/2018 04:05PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (923 Views) joemama 10/08/2018 04:43PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (1017 Views) Fairmount1 10/08/2018 11:23PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (940 Views) Tavasco 10/09/2018 03:13AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (877 Views) ChiTownJoe 10/09/2018 10:17AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (787 Views) wrongly1 10/09/2018 09:15AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (795 Views) Rich Curtis 10/09/2018 10:03AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (820 Views) bluechip21 10/09/2018 11:13AM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (896 Views) bobphilo 10/09/2018 01:15PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (760 Views) bluechip21 10/09/2018 05:58PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (943 Views) PlanetHellmers 10/09/2018 06:23PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (775 Views) firmturf 10/09/2018 06:31PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (763 Views) hellersorr 10/09/2018 08:43PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (879 Views) Boscar Obarra 10/09/2018 10:41PM
Re: Link to Christian Hellmers interview with Baffert (792 Views) TempletonPeck 10/10/2018 01:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.