Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (1392 Views)
Posted by: Wamsutta (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2019 10:23PM

I agree that no matter what time is set as the final closing time for betting, money is going to come in bundles right up until the off. If you are smarter than I am, or start with more money than I do, or some combination of the two or some other factor leads you to handicap better or bet more efficiently than I do, I can live with it. The unfairness is exactly as TGJB said – apparently direct access to pools and the ability to see the odds and place bets (robotically) far closer to the off than a non-robotic bettor could dream of. That the size of one's bets dictates that one gets privileged access that others do not (and indeed the efforts made to keep hushed up the very fact that this privileged access is provided) is what is unfair. How many milliseconds does it take between the time the starter's finger starts to press down on the gate opening button and the time his finger is fully pressed and the gate opens? How many bets can the CRW lot get down in that time? Changes in the odds couldn't be displayed to the public anywhere near that fast, let alone a bet be put through.

And it is not just here. Obviously, most of the money bet on Irish and British racing is done via bookmakers or on the exchanges, but we here can only bet via their Tote systems. (The only place where I routinely do not see the big late fluctuations is on the French tote.) The proportion of money bet too late to be reflected in the posted odds in Irish and British races until after the race starts is such that using the posted tote odds at any time during the run-up to the race to assess the betting is useless (especially in Ireland where there is less liquidity). One has to approach the race assuming that the bookmaker odds shown by Oddschecker or at the Racing Post or other media will be generally reflected in the closing tote odds, except that short-priced favorites will generally be bet down shorter. I have assumed that this is bookmakers using the tote to cover their liabilities, the same way they do on the exchanges. But are CRW teams actively betting on racing there? The conditions (horse population and movement between courses, ground conditions, course layouts) are less static there than anywhere else, but there is plenty of money being bet.

And that's not to mention the issues they've had over there with bettors flying drones over and near racecourses in an effort to get live pictures to beat the delayed feed shown on their TV channels. Doesn't TVG / Betfair offer in-running betting on their New Jersey exchange? (Is this connected or pooled together with the main exchange in Britain?) Since the TVG feed on my TV is always a second or two behind the track feeds shown on the NYRA website, I assume that someone must be cleaning up pretty handsomely.

Apologies if this is too far off-topic. Good luck to anyone playing Royal Ascot this week.

Subject Written By Posted
Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (1432 Views) BitPlayer 06/15/2019 06:53PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (929 Views) Boscar Obarra 06/15/2019 07:22PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (846 Views) BitPlayer 06/15/2019 10:37PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (865 Views) Fairmount1 06/15/2019 11:12PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (885 Views) Rich Curtis 06/16/2019 09:29AM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (946 Views) TGJB 06/16/2019 11:25AM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (929 Views) TGJB 06/16/2019 11:34AM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (901 Views) jerry 06/16/2019 11:40AM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (829 Views) Boscar Obarra 06/16/2019 02:33PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (1392 Views) Wamsutta 06/17/2019 10:23PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (908 Views) FrankD. 06/16/2019 04:45PM
Re: Article on Status of Professional Sports Betting (668 Views) Topcat 06/23/2019 08:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.