Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Derby Elephant in the Room (1016 Views)
Posted by: Dana666 (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2021 08:25AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/lasix-ban-reaches-kentucky-derby-014844195.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb&tsrc=fb&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9sLmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADYC4Nb5F_NsDOhsnm3rcUA7IpeMQu_OJ61D-mvWuOV3_nHSf8FXHjgP0EQ9JZBhasgMbnMcEoi37O-wF1Xgzq5GNUzfyRw7jvEXy38YstiD1UduuA3IfJdAZvu0SCmhyTn9g115Jjv_CtpRmaYVH952EaUEptoB9Ywd5ZgcWI4O

I think there is no bigger factor when handicapping this year's derby than the Lasix ban in the prep races and the derby itself.

I haven't heard too many people talk about it--certainly not the talking heads on TVG or other networks.

I don't post much anymore; actually, I'm transitioning more and more toward sports betting after 50 or so years of horses almost every day, so if I missed something relevant, please link it in the comments. Sports betting vs. horses is an interesting topic, perhaps for another day.

Maybe there is no way to say exactly how the ban is affecting the horses or the outcomes, but it def. is. I think mostly you see a lot of horses in prep races underperform and some strange results, which could continue in the derby.

If anyone has any thoughts or theories, it might be interesting to hear them.

My only take so far is I think horses who are distanced-challenged are more likely to be exposed without Lasix--the ban seems to affect horses' ability to finish races the most. I also think (obviously) fresher horses with more rest might be at an advantage--don't know for sure--but maybe the horses that came out of the preps with more rest might have an advantage--more lightly raced? Maybe the La. or Florida races might carry more weight--they almost never do in my past derby handicapping. Historically, I'm hugely biased toward So. Cal three year olds!

Are certain trainers who are perhaps more adept at using other PEDs going to have an advantage in a Lasix-free event? Will there be strict testing to discourage them from ramping up the magic potions? Or does the ban of Lasix as some say not allow these trainers to hide what else they might be using?

Or should we just forget all this background and just use the sheet numbers like always and let the chips fall where they may?

Subject Written By Posted
Derby Elephant in the Room (1016 Views) Dana666 04/24/2021 08:25AM
Re: Derby Elephant in the Room (788 Views) mistermoose 04/24/2021 09:52AM
Re: Derby Elephant in the Room (770 Views) RICH 04/24/2021 10:25AM
Re: Derby Elephant in the Room (787 Views) Dana666 04/24/2021 02:32PM
Re: Derby Elephant in the Room (550 Views) JohnTChance 04/27/2021 02:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.