Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Preakness Pass (677 Views)
Posted by: Fairmount1 (IP Logged)
Date: May 14, 2021 10:04PM

Grinder,

I agree with your thought re: this race being a poor race to wager upon.

If not for the Baffert/MS circus extravaganza, I see Concert Tour as a superstar play for several reasons I wont get into. But given the eyes upon the barn, the multiple tests, the MS positive test after Derby, and the performance today far back in the BES by Beautiful Gift, it is hard to take that stand.

Another reason (besides the circus surrounding Baffert horses that may mean they don't have their usual "prep" for the race) is the lack of wagering on these two horses so far in doubles and the win pool. We all have a pretty good idea what the wagering public does when we look at the PP's. MS and CT look like 8 to 5 and 5-2 with Bourbon around 5-2 to 3-1 to my mind. And certainly no way I see MB as the favorite on paper. The win pool at last report I saw had Midnight Bourbon at 5 to 2, MS at 7-2, and CT at 4-1. This speaks volumes.

As some of you may recall, Baffert won with Gamine, Du Jour and MS on Derby Day. A horse who didn't win was Defunded in the Pat Day Mile. The horse ran a monster race: The chart says 6 wide turn, 6 path upper, flattened, beaten 4 3/4 lengths behind Jackie's Warrior as the 2nd choice at 3.10-1. There is no way that horse should have been 3-1 in that 11 horse field. In the G2 American Turf, Du Jour went off at 5-1 in a 14 horse field (3rd choice) and Baffert won that one by a comfortable 1 1/2 lengths. (anyone recall Hellmers "interview" when Bob said he isn't set up for turf race in his barn LOL). Baffert said in a 30 min interview the week after the Derby (before the big news) that he thought he would be the KING OF THE UNDERCARD. He thought all 3 of those would win but Defunded just wasn't as good as those he commented in the interview. My point is his horses got hammered when they were well intended. And those two I cited suggest that someone is attempting to cash in when he thinks they are READY, SET, GO.

So for neither CT nor MS to be the favorite speaks Volumes. Now maybe they are able to get one or both of these horses their usual "prep" for the big race. Maybe they are not. But the betting suggests right now that they aren't and someone knows it.

Some may view this as an opportunity to toss both and really take a swing. But then I'm reminded of Firenzie Fire who was under the care of Servis but has continued to grind out wins under a different trainer. So it is hard to say how this all plays out esp with lack of pace in some people's eyes.

Personally, I have no confidence I have an opinion that could be wagered here with the circus and lack of betting on Baffert and the BES (lack of) effort. I'm with ya grinder, I'm passing the race. Baffert is sitting back in California and telling people he is Not Winning Jewel 2 it seems. Maybe by race time, he says they are GO. Who knows. I certainly don't. Now if I find something at Arlington or Canterbury this weekend, I might pick on a few races there.

Good Luck to those brave enough to say they know what happens in the Preakness and successfully wager. I think it a complete farce they are letting this guy run horses. . .

Subject Written By Posted
Preakness Pass (962 Views) grinder 05/14/2021 07:51PM
Re: Preakness Pass (673 Views) TreadHead 05/14/2021 08:02PM
Re: Preakness Pass (672 Views) T Severini 05/14/2021 08:09PM
Re: Preakness Pass (608 Views) Dana666 05/14/2021 09:30PM
Re: Preakness Pass (677 Views) Fairmount1 05/14/2021 10:04PM
Re: Preakness Pass (734 Views) TGJB 05/14/2021 10:29PM
Re: Preakness Pass (614 Views) Marlin 05/14/2021 10:50PM
Re: Preakness Pass (556 Views) MonmouthGuy 05/15/2021 09:03AM
Re: Preakness Pass (596 Views) HP 05/15/2021 09:49AM
Re: Preakness Pass (501 Views) confused 05/15/2021 10:38AM
Re: Preakness Pass (402 Views) hellersorr 05/15/2021 06:33PM
Re: Preakness Pass (394 Views) hellersorr 05/15/2021 06:57PM
Re: Preakness Pass (363 Views) Roman 05/15/2021 07:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.