Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Ark Derby Day, Baffert Horses (295 Views)
Posted by: Fairmount1 (IP Logged)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:52PM

As you try to solve the puzzles on Ark Derby Day, you will see Baffert has two entered.

Race 5. MSW 120k for 3yo fillies. Bonaqua owned by Natalie Baffert.
Race 12. Ark Derby. Muth.

How does he fare at Oaklawn?

Last 5 years: 28 starts, 14 wins. 71% ITM.

2019: 1-0-1-0 (NOTE: Any stats for Jan 1 to March 30 not included for 2019)
2020: 15-9-1-0. Includes Inshannity a MSW winner owned by Natalie Baffert.
2021: 6-2-2-1
2022: 3-1-2-0
2023: 2-2-0-0
2024: 1-0-0-0. Ran 11th at 6-1 in the Southwest with Wynstock.

Of those Oaklawn starters the last 5 years, when favored he is 11 of 17.

A little more interesting is this:

13 of those 14 winners that last 5 years were UNDER 2.00-1.
The 14th winner was 2.30-1.

The 8 horses he has run that were 5-2 or higher, ZERO wins. 4 seconds. AGAIN, ZERO WINS AT 5-2 or higher.

In a post after Sar, I pointed out how strange it was he scratched Muth because of the distance of the race after Muth shipped up there. It was fairly close to the start of the card and he commented the distance was the reason.

That made me wonder how much he has shipped out of California in the past several months since around that time. I looked at 8 months back. That is a bit arbitrary but goes back to just past this Muth scratch.

Outside of California the past 240 days. 13-2-0-2. National Treasure winning the Pegasus and Tall Paul winning at Sar in a State bred MSW race are the 2 winners. 15.3% winners and 31% ITM. His 13 out of Cali starters account for just 5.7% of his starters during this time.

Outside of California from 241 days ago to 1825 days ago (8 months plus to 5 years ago). 156 starts, 42 wins. 27% winners, 55% ITM. (I didn't count out the exact places and shows on this stat but I did have the 55% number). His 156 out of Cali starters accounted for 11.1% of his starters.

These numbers are not 1000% perfect but they are pretty close. I had some trouble with the program matching up the 2 diff time periods but they are really, really close within a start or two. The amount of winners is dead on. And the outside Cali includes ones he shipped to Dubai and Saudi. But just to be clear, no warranties for someone that finds a small discrepancy, :)

In summary, the last 8 months, he hasn't shipped as many horses percentage wise out of Cali as he was previously. And the ones he has in a small sample are not winning as often. And at Oaklawn, his horses are hammered when they are live but he has only shipped one this meet and that horse ran Last.

Good Luck as Fla Derby and Ark Derby Days approach! Good discussion about La Derby last week and would enjoy seeing some positive banter again this week.

Subject Written By Posted
Ark Derby Day, Baffert Horses (295 Views) Fairmount1 03/24/2024 09:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.