Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: How Slow Can You Go? (372 Views)
Posted by: Tavasco (IP Logged)
Date: April 29, 2024 04:59PM

Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess - 5

Assumes a max Jump up of 3 pts and a 2 is necessary to hit the board.

Quite a few candidates. Cull them by patterns with jump-up potential and small sample size (lightly raced) have greater potential for variance.

Lastly, use only one from each pace style.

When I get the energy I'll edit this post to list my short list. So only those interested will have to see it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reflecting on Mage, last year whose race before the Derby caused me to toss him on the big day. I mistakenly explained that effort as a lack of stamina. So from the E/P-Type runners, I select #8 Just A Touch. Unless the Jockey Selection turns out to be a Tomato Can. I'm hoping for Dettori. Believing his Blue Grass was compromised by Chad Brown's rabbit that day.

From arguably the P-Type runners I select #8 Endlessly. I see this one having the ideal running style to get into the super or #7 Encino Godolphin need I say more?

From the E-Type group, I'm choosing #10 T O Password another who checks all my boxes except I don't think going to the lead is the best strategy if the pace is fast. A colt with only two career races may yet learn to rate. I also suspect the wiley Japanese may have learned attending a suicidal pace on the first Saturday in May is not productive. Note - Lonshots are because of the quality and quantity of doubt, which means no one knows how good this one is.

I expect a fast pace which is to the benefit of the deep closing S-Type group. This search is easy which of the contenders has consistently closed only to get near the lead too late at the shorter distances. My choice #7 Honor Marie. This well-rested fellow is my guess for who will be running best in the late stretch.

Wild Card - #18 Stronghold ignoring the West Coast entries would only result from a bias toward East of the Mississippi racing. Baffert's shadow obscures the other SoCal outfits. The expected race shape plays right into this one's experience chasing fast paces and hanging on with grit to get checks. The super is in his range I believe.

Subject Written By Posted
How Slow Can You Go? (473 Views) PonyBologna 04/29/2024 02:49PM
Re: How Slow Can You Go? (378 Views) johnnym 04/29/2024 03:39PM
Re: How Slow Can You Go? (372 Views) Tavasco 04/29/2024 04:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.