Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
The Last Word (1858 Views)
Posted by: HP (IP Logged)
Date: February 26, 2002 05:08PM

I think this new arrangement stinks since I really wanted to remain anonymous, but I am such an egomaniac that I couldn't resist registering after seeing my nom de plume in print a few times. I never used anonymity to abuse people (even when I though I was abused, most notably by the Clown), and it's unfortunate that others could not adhere to this principle. My interest in this board has declined appreciably, and I think it's far less interesting, since even the abusive stuff was easily ignored and funny (sometimes hilarous).

I will only address a few of these Mall/Alydar points, since I only have opinions on a few of them.

Eight weeks off a top - Depends on the horse, the top and the context. I don't care who postulated it, this is worthless as a general rule. Is it a one point top or a five point top? 3yo or 5yo? Colt or filly? Dirt or grass? Come on. Especially ridiculous given the proven pattern of younger horses pairing tops.

Weight - a relatively tiny component assuming we are talking about a relatively tiny difference in weight. If two horses were likely to run 3's and one is carrying ten pounds less I'm probably going with that one (ground loss?), and in this example, it's a major component. Common sense would dictate the longer the race, the more the weight matters.

Dahlmann - I respect him but I take everything he says in public with a grain of salt (he doesn't follow patterns?). His bread and butter is supposed to be short exactas and in the much cited Times article he cites snapping out of a one-day 'slump' by keying a $30 winner in a $200 exacta (figures approximate). Surprised nobody picked up on this since it's been quoted so often.

As for the personal stuff, Alydar, stop talking about Hegel and making so many intellectual references, and Mall, knock it off with the patronizing admonitions to 'think for yourself', unless you're still wearing one of those 'Question Authority' buttons.

Jerry will vouch for the fact that I am much more interested in talking than listening, but reading is a different story. And JB, you left Kesey off your pantheon the other night. Regards and thanks for the flattering mentions, HP

PS - Go back to the old board format, right away. If I get ONE email I'm coming down there.

Subject Written By Posted
The Last Word (1858 Views) HP 02/26/2002 05:08PM
Re:Who ratted me out? (1121 Views) Mall 02/26/2002 08:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.