Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Mistakes in figures? Result? (651 Views)
Posted by: jimbo66 (IP Logged)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:38PM

Jerry,

I am joining this thread late in the game, but I have a question or two. Having read through your comments and looked at the Derby, you convinced me and I guess most of us that Rags did make a mistake on the Derby. And it is a valid point that he ignores it. And it is a valid point that if he can't get the Derby right, what does that say about the rest of the figures they do on a daily basis.

But...

1. Do you actually think that a majority of Sheets players go back and try to recalculate yours or Len's figures and check for accuracy? Probably not. There are also only a small percentage of the users that post and look at yours and Len's message boards. Don't you think that most of us "grade" the products based on the results we achieve at the track? I find it hard to believe that Rags users would continue to shell out $25 a pop for sheets if they weren't helping them at the races. I don't buy that Rags users are less intelligent. I am pretty sure if we took an "aggregate IQ" of T-Graph users and compared it to Rags users, we wouldn't see a difference.

2. I looked at the mistake you pointed out in the Derby and looked at subsequent races for those horses and couldn't find any betting opportunities that resulted in using your figures over Len's figures for the Derby. That is what this is all about, isn't it? Even though he was wrong and you were right, it didn't help in picking any future races.

3. Why does Len have a bigger market share than you do? This is not a sarcastic question, I am being serious. I am curious. It seems unlikely to be methodology. Is it "brand"? Better distribution channels? Or, is Len a superior handicapper? I don't know any of these answers, and I haven't seen a Ragozin sheet yet, but with all the points you have made about faulty figures, it strikes me as strange that he has a bigger market share.

4. How do you tie better figures to more winners? This is what I have legitimate trouble with. I have read through your posts here over the past 6 months, listened to the seminars, read the ROTW regularly. It all sounds good and it strikes me as probable that your figures are better than the Beyer figures and possibly Ragozin. But I honestly don't see it manifesting itself in picking more winners. I don't want to take any more shots at the ROTW, but it has not pointed to winners in a while. I have looked at every analysis for every track you did it for since July 1 (except for 6 days I missed) and have "graded out" your picks and although I won't post it here (don't want to be inflammatory), lets just say the results aren't convincing.

So here is the dilemma that poses to me (and maybe others). If the guy who is the authority on the figures and the best figure maker out there, is not good enough to use those figures to pick winners, how can I do it using his product? There are two possible answers to that. One, I would have to believe that I am a superior handicapper. Or two, I would have to believe that you are a MISERABLE handicapper. Either one is a pretty big leap of faith. I am not that arrogant and I doubt you are miserable.

To any Rags users on this board, does Len have the reputation of being a great handicapper, in addition to figure maker? Do they have an analysis product? Is their track record with this type of product superior to T-Graph's record?

Last point. Not related. I asked for an ID to the Rags board a few weeks ago just to see what types of things are posted there, and I still haven't heard back from them with a password. I followed up the request with an email and also got no answer. Not very customer friendly.

Subject Written By Posted
Mistakes in figures? Result? (651 Views) jimbo66 12/10/2004 12:38PM
Re: Mistakes in figures? Result? (361 Views) Josephus 12/10/2004 03:01PM
Re: Mistakes in figures? Result? (353 Views) TGJB 12/10/2004 03:58PM
Re: Mistakes in figures? Result? (385 Views) TGJB 12/10/2004 06:16PM
Re: Mistakes in figures? Result? (369 Views) jimbo66 12/10/2004 08:25PM
Re: Mistakes in figures? Result? (388 Views) TGJB 12/10/2004 08:34PM
Re: Mistakes in figures? Result? (356 Views) jimbo66 12/10/2004 08:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.