Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Dumbfellas. (648 Views)
Posted by: Mall (IP Logged)
Date: January 18, 2005 08:27PM

The 17 individuals who were indicted have been described as low level associates in the Gambino crime family. Just how low these guys were on the food chain is clear from the fact that only 2 have nicknames, & they're both pretty pathetic for mobsters, to wit: "Cookies" & "Pebbles." The impression I had reading the indictment is that the fed's primary focus is to destroy what little is left of a once powerful crime family by whatever means presented themselves. Although there are a number of rumors regarding what else the feds learned about racing from the wiretaps, I will be very surprised if this case signals a stepped up federal govt interest in going after trainers who drug their horses. The unidentified performance enhancing substance administered to Rocket isn't even mentioned until Count 87, & I'll venture a guess that the main reason Greg Martin was indicted is because he is a good candidate to cop a plea in exchange for testimony against team Uvari.

One would think that even the lowest level member of a crime family which has been decimated by convictions based on wiretaps might consider the possibility that his or her conversations were being recorded. Then again, these are guys who thought they could circumvent the reporting requirement for bank deposits of $10k or more by making a large number of $9500 deposits at the same bank. And now that I understand their fairly straightforward & not necessarily morally objectional betting scheme, the idea of making a few extra bucks defrauding the IRS seems nothing short of pure genius. After all, hardly anyone has ever heard of a case where the feds used the tax laws to bring down a powerful mobster.

On a more upbeat topic, of the three finalists I just can't decide who deserves the Eclipse Award for best owner: the guy who just paid the largest fine in Ky history for trying to bribe another owner to scratch her horse, or the guy who's vet amputated his horse's leg at GP. I'm sure they're both deserving, at least of something.

Subject Written By Posted
Dumbfellas. (648 Views) Mall 01/18/2005 08:27PM
Re: Dumbfellas. (379 Views) twoshoes 01/19/2005 08:44AM
Re: Dumbfellas. (363 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 01/19/2005 09:01AM
Re: All Aleong... (495 Views) JohnTChance 01/19/2005 04:21PM
Re: All Aleong... (383 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 01/19/2005 05:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.