Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 3 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Various (551 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2005 02:03PM

Bit-- NYRA is under the gun, and this move was political-- they actually DO have a problem of perception, since other people are trying to turn public sentiment against them to get the franchise. Aside from everything else, RGS (as I understand it) was set up in business by a former NYRA executive, so they probably had no choice. My guess is that similar issues came into play causing New Jersey to be the first to act, but that's something I'm not going to get into here. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out, although it pales in significance compared to the drug stuff.

They just posted the full standings for the contest today, we'll try and get average return and finish position of our guys for you today or tomorrow-- their's another big contest starting and a lot of other stuff going on.

Minfurna-- agree with a lot of that, as you know, but more importantly:

The reason I pointed out in my letter that there was a supertrainer panel at the expo was to make it clear that the PUBLIC is aware of the drug problem-- otherwise the industry would read it as just one guy ranting. The only thing I can do to "keep the heat on", as several have asked me to do, is to continue to urge YOU GUYS to write letters and make noise, for the same reason-- they need to know that there are many other informed, serious, articulate horseplayers out there, not a group of apathetic morons who will take whatever is handed to them. What you wrote-- and especially the tone-- has the makings of a very good letter, just take out the names of the trainers.

Raz-- saw your post on the other site about the Drug Consortium, and the only thing I can say is, don't hold your breath. I asked Charlie Harris back when the NTRA was formed whether he would take the job of commissioner if it were offered, and he said no-- "You don't take responsibility without the authority to back it up". All that outfit can do is make recommendations, which the individual tracks can either follow or not. What will make the tracks act is the stick, not a suggestion-- a scandal, the threat of Federal intervention, THE PROLONGED, LOUD OUTCRY OF BETTORS, especially as expressed at the windows.

A year ago, when Magna tried to play games by witholding it's signal from a lot of bet takers, a very significant event took place-- a group of big bettors (and others) boycotted Golden Gate. Magna caved. That's the kind of thing it will take to effect change. It's not up to them-- it's up to you guys. If you want change, you gotta make it happen.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Various (551 Views) TGJB 01/26/2005 02:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.