Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Fine dropped against Shuman/Gill (557 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: February 07, 2005 10:10AM

You guys may have understood that story right off, but I am a groper. It takes me awhile to hash through things. I found other parts interesting in the story:

"The Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI) lists fluphenazine as a Class 2 substance, meaning it has a high potential to affect performance.":

http://www.arci.com/druglisting.pdf

I think the ARCI has as much authority over Trainers as Journalism Ethics has over FOX News. Bottom line is that I believe this is an "Ethics" committee without the ability to sanction. (The ARCI is in Kentucky, the alleged abuses in New York) I think what ARCI has done is propose a "Model" for the racing states as to what THEY think are impermissable substances.

Then this:

"In its decision to not discipline Shuman, the board noted that fluphenazine can stay in a horse’s system for more than seven days, which is the mandated withdrawal period for the sedative."

Reading between the lines, "You can sedate a horse but not less than seven days before a race." However Fluphenazine stays in the blood for a longer period than New Yorks own "7 day no administering sedatives" period.

I'm all for cleaning up this game. But they could just as easily come down on Frankel or Pletcher with these twisted rules. If you're gonna come down on a man, you need to both treat him fairly and treat him no different than anyone else.

They had no better case against Gill than they currently have against Frankel.

The difference between Gill and Frankel's owners is that Gill is hashing it out on ham and eggers and for the most part Frankel's owners are the who's who in modern Tbred racing. That shouldn't be a factor in who the spotlight is placed upon though.

CtC

Post Edited (02-07-05 11:31)

Subject Written By Posted
Fine dropped against Shuman/Gill (715 Views) asfufh 02/05/2005 08:39PM
Re: Fine dropped against Shuman/Gill (463 Views) razzle 02/06/2005 12:24AM
Re: Fine dropped against Shuman/Gill (557 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/07/2005 10:10AM
Re: Fine dropped against Shuman/Gill (369 Views) fasteddie 02/07/2005 01:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.