Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Track Announcers (1371 Views)
Posted by: richiebee (IP Logged)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:54AM

Durkin and Denman, the best by default. I just wish Trevor wasn't so prissy about what he sees to be whip abuse by jockeys. I can tell you that Trevor is probably not a Jorge Chavez fan.

The guys currently calling the races at Fair grounds, Gulfstream and Turf Paradise are all competent but sound very much alike to me. Of the three, I like John Dooley at FG best.

Larry Kallmus (spelling?) is very competent and laid back. He is the full time racecaller at Monmouth and dont know if NYRA will try to lure him away. They need somebody because Durkin seems to work about a 7 month year.

The absolute worst is Mike Battaglia. And to me, even worse than Battaglia is the guy at Tampa Bay Downs. Just awful is not a good enough description, but this is a family message board and I don't want to get profane.

I used to like Bob Weems at Monmouth Park. He had a gravelly, Harry Henson like voice and I always imagined him in the booth with a lit cigarette and a glass of scotch.

I like the fellow who was at FG before CD took over. Wrona? British or South African?Very good detail in the race calls and a great voice. Think he's in Texas now.

Speaking of FG, do you think Churchill Downs can scrape together enough money to buy Pam Fitzgerald (Paddock Commentator) a HAIRBRUSH? I mean I understand you probably gallop horses in the morning, and have a bad case of helmet hair, but for the love of mike-- somedays she looks scary. That Manson girl look doesn't do it for me.

Bottom line on track announcer-- if you are at the track live with a good set of binoculars, you don't need one. I feel badly for any of you guys who never got to Keeneland when they had NO announcer. Very
surreal, but obviously no longer practical(simulcasting).

Subject Written By Posted
Track Announcers (694 Views) NoCarolinaTony 03/01/2005 01:27AM
Re: Track Announcers (1371 Views) richiebee 03/01/2005 07:54AM
Re: Track Announcers (426 Views) NoCarolinaTony 03/01/2005 01:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.