Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (384 Views)
Posted by: STB (IP Logged)
Date: March 08, 2005 02:31PM

Hilarious..."He spit out the reasons why he should own its tracks: the New York Racing Association lost $20 million in 2003..."

Everything I've read indicates that Magna Entertainment is hemorrhaging cash; as they article points out, they racked up an impressive $95.6 mil of losses in 2004.

"They wanted him to sell or spin off Magna Entertainment, his horse-racing subsidiary, to restore share value in another subsidiary, a real estate company..."

That real estate company gave M.E. $192 million in loans, interest-free until 2008, to help finance the reconstruction of GP and some work at, I believe, the Meadows. So, what if the investors succeed in forcing a spin-off - are those loans still OK as is? I'm asking, I have no idea.

"In Albany, Governor Pataki had released his proposed budget, which called for the state's track franchise to be put up for bid starting at $250 million, with annual payments of perhaps tens of millions more on top of that...."

Even Magna's own PR shills admitted, during their public comments after the year's "earnings" report was released, that they are hamstrung for awhile as far as taking on more debt. Wouldn't cash outlays required by the up-front bid fee and the annual payments weaken M.E. even further? What happens if they get the NY franchise and then a few years down the road they can't make the annual payments?

Richiebee, I agree with both your comments on the Spa - it IS too long at six weeks, and Stronach would certainly extend it to AT LEAST 8-10 weeks. (By the way, isn't CD planning to run a longer summer meet? Even a 6 week SAR meet suffers a probable loss of ship-ins under that scenario, the effect is obviously amplified if the meet is 8, 10, or 12 weeks...). And let's not forget the "upselling", as his folks call it, that would take place at the Spa...jacked up seat prices, jacked up admission prices, who knows what sort of luxury tents and boxes crammed into who knows where. Call me a misty-eyed idealist, but I do feel that Saratoga needs to be handled somewhat differently than a run-of-the-mill "racing plant", it holds obvious and significant historical value, and it needs to be run with an eye on that fact.

So, Stronach's company loses money hand over fist and its future seems dangerously tied to what happens with slots in a number of states. In many cases, the future of slots is precarious at best, and even here in NY, where slots are operating right now, a lower court ruled last year that it is against the state consitution for racing to get a piece of the slots action. That decision got kicked up to a higher court that is full of Pataki appointees, so it may well get reversed - but who knows, really.

Obviously racing has big problems here in NY and elsewhere, but just because this guy made a ton of money selling sprockets, that means he is The Savior the racing industry has been waiting for all these years? I don't buy it.

Subject Written By Posted
NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (943 Views) nicely nicely 03/07/2005 09:51PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (424 Views) Michael D. 03/07/2005 10:03PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (416 Views) Silver Charm 03/07/2005 11:20PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (407 Views) xichibanx 03/08/2005 12:40PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (406 Views) OPM 03/08/2005 08:04PM
Early returns indicate support for slots measure (449 Views) Silver Charm 03/08/2005 09:07PM
Re: Early returns indicate support for slots measure (391 Views) xichibanx 03/08/2005 10:30PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (467 Views) richiebee 03/08/2005 03:12AM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (384 Views) STB 03/08/2005 02:31PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (410 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 03/08/2005 04:21PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (450 Views) gowand 03/08/2005 08:26PM
Re: NY Times 3/8 - Stronach (386 Views) twoshoes 03/09/2005 09:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.