Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
In Memory of Tug McGraw (633 Views)
Posted by: richiebee (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2005 08:21PM

Tug McGraw was once asked if he pitched better on Astroturf or natural grass. His reply: "I dont know, I never smoked astroturf"

Now to a different type of grass: Blue

Mr. Sword:(20) J. Ped 1/25 last 30 days at NYRA. J. Ped 0/22 graded stakes. J. Ped worked this horse too fast. Rizzi says 7f to me, I don't care what sire stats say. In MS's last win, he beat 3 overmatched foes; the second place finisher had been claimed for 20K as a 2Y0. IMO, a likely last place finisher, and if you like him you get lousy value w/ JD riding.

Clos Arg: (10) KMac's "last race 30-89 days stats" both run based and figure based, are excellent. (WHY NO 60- 90 BREAKDOWN?) KMac's strike rate in graded stakes is 19%. If you look at the spacing of this colt's races, its been 66 days since the FOY, and there was a 63 day spacing between the Delta race and the FOY. Beyer seemed to see significant advancement in the FOY, TG did not. In the FOY he beat KC Boy, who is headed for a career on the turf, and High Fly, who is headed to Louisville. His breeding whispers to me that he will get 9f but will not be hard to pull up thereafter.

Spanish Chestnut:(30) dam's name is Baby Rabbit, which about says it all.

Consolidator:(4) His last race was dominant, and assuming soundness, he can match that effort number or fig wise. His 3 best races have been his 3 two turn efforts, including his 1- 1/16th win at Kee as a 2Y0. He does not need the lead, has worked well and Lukas's ego (someone else posted this), his football mentality, dictates that he will go all out for victory here and worry about winning the Derby after this race. To me the most likely winner and bettable at 4/1 or above. If he wins the BG, he was fully cranked and evaluate his Derby chances accordingly.

High Limit:(2) Its sometimes hard to make friends by agreeing with CTC, but I think Frankel is a poor poker player. This colt has never been behind a single horse at any stage in any of his 3 races, and if he breaks clean and sharp Ding Ding Dominquez will not put a hammerlock on him. As fast as Consolidator, and I think Consolidator will be kept between 1-2 lengths of HL at all times. When was the last time a colt won the Derby with only 4 previous lifetime starts?

Sun King:(2) NZ's instructions to Prado: Keep him wide, finish well, see you in Louisville. No pressure on him for this race. NZ may have cost himself the BC Juvie with this one by not having run him in a 2 turn prep.

Bandini:(6) Again, Beyer impressed, TG not, in the FOY? Both DRF and TG had this colt 3w, and now he's in the outside stall. Most concerning to me was interview with Johnny V after FOY.. he said Bandini was "studdish". Would have too see his paddock demeanor before betting. Wide post, soundness issues (no works between 3/20 and 4/5)may limit him to an exacta finish at best.

Subject Written By Posted
In Memory of Tug McGraw (633 Views) richiebee 04/15/2005 08:21PM
Re: In Memory of Tug McGraw (372 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/15/2005 09:32PM
Re: In Memory of Tug McGraw (338 Views) Saddlecloth 04/16/2005 02:35AM
Re: In Memory of Tug McGraw (343 Views) richiebee 04/16/2005 09:01AM
Re: In Memory of Tug McGraw (413 Views) twoshoes 04/16/2005 08:47AM
Re: In Memory of Tug McGraw (380 Views) Bally Ache 04/16/2005 11:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.