Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Pickle (374 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2005 01:31PM

Miff-- I know who is right by doing what I do for a living. What you are really asking is not why I'm right, but how an outsider can tell.

First of all, a lot of it can be independently confirmed (honest guys, I didn't write this question myself, even though it looks like a batting practice fastball). And when I say that, I often do give evidence to show you how you can know. Like--

With the Florida Derby ground. Ragozin gave HF and NC the same number, based on having NC 4.5 wide on average for the second turn. At the time I said it was wrong, and I also said anyone could go to RaceReplays.com to see for themselves. I want to point out that SINCE I beat Ragozin over the head with this PUBLICLY, they stuck to it AGAIN in an article in the Thoroughbred Times, and DIDN'T CHANGE THE FIGURES FOR THE DERBY PROBABLE SET THEY SOLD THEIR CUSTOMERS THIS WEEK. Once again, they made the most cynical of calculations-- they have virtually no on-line business, and their hard copy customers don't know they messed up, so why admit making a mistake? Better to give their customers bad data, for the biggest race of the year. I have to tell you, AGAIN, if I was one of their on-line customers who is reading this, I would be asking questions. LOUDLY.

Other examples-- the phantom off-poorly and ground errors in the 04 BC sprint, Touch Of The Blues in the BC mile a couple of years ago, the 3 length error Ragzoin made in the Derby figures last year, resulting in a 1 1/2 point INTERNAL error (not a judgement call) within the figures for the biggest race of the year, bad ground for the Wood in 03. In all these cases I said anyone could go to watch the replay themselves to decide. And in TOTB's case Ragozin did go back much later, after things calmed down, to change the ground-- don't know about the others.

When it comes to variant decisions, you have two ways to go-- one is deciding whose theories make sense (Ragozin's are detailed in his book, i.e. that tracks never change speed except for extreme weather, mine in the Expo presentation found in the archives, backed up by a fair amount of science). The second is to look at what evidence is available-- from how the figures hold up, and from those races I post so you can look at the figures and the logic. On those rare occasions Ragozin does the same, I usually end up cramming yet another error down their throats. And those are on the BIG races.

You can also draw conclusions from everybody's willingness to answer questions, other than with "We're right. Trust us, we wouldn't lie to you". At least those who aren't brainwashed can.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Pickle (595 Views) P-Dub 04/24/2005 07:23PM
Re: Pickle (407 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/24/2005 08:00PM
Re: Pickle (373 Views) P-Dub 04/24/2005 08:58PM
Re: Pickle (363 Views) richiebee 04/24/2005 08:46PM
Re: Pickle (340 Views) Silver Charm 04/24/2005 09:00PM
Re: Pickle (366 Views) gvido 04/25/2005 01:56AM
Re: Pickle (355 Views) TGJB 04/25/2005 12:41PM
Re: Pickle (389 Views) miff 04/25/2005 12:54PM
Re: Pickle (374 Views) TGJB 04/25/2005 01:31PM
Re: Pickle (368 Views) Saddlecloth 04/25/2005 03:06PM
Re: Pickle (358 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/25/2005 03:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.