Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Stronach/ Clinton Connection (622 Views)
Posted by: richiebee (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2005 01:05AM

Anyone read John Hawkes' novel "The Lime Twig"? Remember Sidney Slyter, the racing reporter who was sure that an entry in a cheap stakes race at a small country track was actually a former champion who had been stolen out of the pasture where he was grazing away his retirement...

I wish Sidney was here now to help me get to the bottom of something I just became aware of. Its old news on the TG board-- back in May 04 there were a series of posts titled something like "New York Racing Fans be Very Afraid" concerning the world's 2nd most well known Austrian egomaniac, Frank Stronach.

In the NY Post this past week there was a picture of Bill Clinton with a young blonde woman by the name of Belinda Stronach, divorced daughter of the aforementioned Frank. The picture was taken at a tribute to Jack Nicholson, who has made millions of dollars just for wearing sunglasses.

(Actually, a million dollars may not have been enough compensation to sit naked with Kathy Bates in a hot tub. But I digress.)

In June of 2004 Ms. Stronach was elected to the Canadian equivalent of our House of Reps, representing the district where Magna headquarters is located. Her father had campaigned unsuccessfully for the same seat in 1988.

To read posts on Canadian websites, there is no question that this Bill/Belinda relationship was beyond platonic. Where theres smoke, theres fire, says I. For Ms. Stronach's sake, she says only that Bill Clinton is a close friend who inspired her to run for office.

Now my imagination is running wild. Bill and Hillary finally split and Belinda and Bill become the new fun power couple in Canada (remember the Trudeaus?) Hillary is then free of the Bubba baggage, can run for Pres, and the American electorate, for the first time since 1940, can vote for a candidate who already has 8 years experience running the country.

Why do I care? About Bill/ Belinda, I really don't. But every mention of Stronach brings some of my deep seeded beliefs to the surface:

1) In the long run, he is bad for racing. He will abandon racing in Texas, Maryland and maybe California, leaving a vacuum that may not be filled.

2) I never want to see racing from Frankqueduct, Stromont or, banish the thought, Magnatoga.

If investigators were allowed to probe the Sweet Catomine debacle further, they would have found wrongdoing somewhere in the Magnagement of Santa Anita. Thats why the investigation was short and only racing's image was punished.

Post Edited (04-25-05 05:17)

Subject Written By Posted
Stronach/ Clinton Connection (622 Views) richiebee 04/25/2005 01:05AM
Re: Stronach/ Clinton Connection (342 Views) gvido 04/25/2005 03:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.