Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (918 Views)
Posted by: Gordon Atlas (IP Logged)
Date: June 01, 2002 04:32AM

Several comments here and then let's get onto the Belmont Stakes discussion; I always find these discussions to be excellent food for thought.

--I think the point is that the Beyer Numbers and TG numbers and Sheets numbers are all good predictors of outcomes. But since more people have access to them, you must handicap using more intangibles like class, subtle trip factors, and trainer patterns...things like that, in order to find value.

--Basically, you must find horses to appear to have performed more poorly than they really have (or can be expected to improve). It sounds much more simple than it is, though.

Now back to the Belmont...OK, I'll say it: I'm still not that impressed with War Emblem. He had a very easy trip in the Derby and his trip in the Preakness was, in my opinion, also an easy one. Everyone knows that stalking and taking over from a very weak horse that clearly couldn't get the distance is almost the same is going wire to wire. And he was life or death to hold on against a pretty weak horse in Magic Weisner.

So, who can beat War Emblem in the Belmont? I don't have the answer but I'm leaning more and more strongly to Proud Citizen. PC had wide trips in BOTH the Derby and the Preakness, made a run at War Emblem and almost got even with him in the Preakness despite his very wide trip, and held pretty well to be 3rd. I know I just denograted Magic Weisner so how can I admire or tout Proud Citizen? Again, it's all in the trip; Magic Weisner sat a perfect rail trip the entire Preakness until deep stretch (after the turn, anyway) and then made the one move, which looked much better than it really was.

Proud Citizen is very well-bred for distance and well-trained by a guy (who I normally can't stand) named Lukas who's had success in the Belmont. And I'm just not that impressed with anything else in the race, thus far. Sunday Break had a perfect trip in the Wood and in the Peter Pan and didn't have a powerful move in either. Like a Hero doesn't appear to be prepared for a 1 and a half mile trip. Who should I be looking at more closely? How am I off-base? C'mon, let's talk Belmont.

Anyone care to guess at the odds on the major contenders? I think WE will be around even money and PC around 9-2; just a guess, of course. Sunday Break will probably be closer to 7-2.

Dark Star

Subject Written By Posted
Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (1655 Views) asfufh 05/31/2002 01:39AM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (977 Views) Philip Mandl 05/31/2002 11:01AM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (921 Views) Scott V 05/31/2002 12:17PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (944 Views) nunzio 05/31/2002 12:22PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (1053 Views) Scott V 05/31/2002 02:33PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (934 Views) Philip Mandl 05/31/2002 03:14PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (1016 Views) jim davis 06/01/2002 02:19AM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (918 Views) Gordon Atlas 06/01/2002 04:32AM
Did I mention that I hate Lukas? (1012 Views) Anonymous User 06/01/2002 01:28PM
Re: Did I mention that I hate Lukas? (920 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 06/01/2002 02:20PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (844 Views) TGJB 05/31/2002 03:39PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (925 Views) TGJB 05/31/2002 03:36PM
Re: Varient, smarient..the real problem is.... (1294 Views) TGJB 05/31/2002 03:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.