Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 4 & May 5, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Ghostzapper Retired (985 Views)
Posted by: JAKE (IP Logged)
Date: June 13, 2005 02:11PM

From Bloodhorse.com

Frank Stronach's Ghostzapper, the 2004 Horse of the Year and champion older male, has been retired after the detection of a small hairline fracture of the left front sesamoid. He will stand at Stronach's Adena Springs Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Ghostzapper, a 5-year-old homebred son of Awesome Again–-Baby Zip, by Relaunch, scored a brilliant 6 1/4-length victory in the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I) May 30, his first start since setting a track record for 1 1/4 miles in winning the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I) at Lone Star Park last October.

Following the Met Mile, it was revealed that an interest in Ghostzapper had been purchased by Jess Jackson, the California winemaker who has been extremely active in bloodstock transactions over the last year.

"After the race, he had some filling in his ankle," trainer Bobby Frankel said. "We X-rayed it and didn't find anything, but I wasn't comfortable with it and wanted to make sure everything was all right. I didn't want to take any chances, so I sent him to New Bolton (Medical Center) on Wednesday (June 8). They did a nuclear scan and found a hot spot. Then they took an X-ray of the spot and discovered a small crack. They said it was very difficult to find. He looks great and he's walking perfect. You couldn't tell anything was wrong with him.

"I told Mr. Stronach, and he asked how much time he'd need, and I told him he's through. It's disappointing, but it's almost a relief. At least he's going home in one piece. God forbid he would have broken his leg in a race and had to be put down. You just don't know the repercussions of something like that. The whole horse industry would have missed out on a tremendous stallion.

"My main thing with these horses is find a home for them and make sure they go home in one piece. It was worth keeping him in training just for winning that one race. He impressed people in the Met more than he did in the Breeders' Cup, and he ended his career in style."

"I'm sorry he couldn't race through the end of the year and show the racing fans how great he really was, but it would take too long to heal and he is already a 5-year-old," Stronach said June 13.
Frankel said Ghostzapper would ship to Kentucky June 16 with horses the trainer is sending to Churchill Downs.

"It is bittersweet but I'm glad Frank made the decision to keep him around another year," Adena Springs stallion sales and marketing director Jack Brothers said. "He showed a lot of brilliance but the Met Mile in many ways will be his defining race. It drew a lot of comparisons to the great horses that raced at Belmont in the past. It elevated him to another tier."

Brothers said a stud fee will not be set until late fall.

"Naturally with a Horse of the Year coming into the fold you can't help but get excited," Brothers said. "His versatility speaks volumes; he won a grade I going 6 1/2 furlongs and won the (Breeders' Cup) Classic

"(His stud fee) will be Frank's decision. With Awesome Again having a pair of grade I winners this year already, his status is growing by leaps and bounds. Let's see how things develop the remainder of the year with Awesome Again (before thinking about a fee for Ghostzapper)."

Ghostzapper won major sprints and one- and two-turn distance races, won on the lead and from dead last, and won on fast and sloppy tracks. And he did it with flair. His speed figures, according to the experts, were the fastest ever recorded.

"He just ran too fast for his own good," Frankel said. "He was a very special horse and he never let me down. He amazed me, and everyone, with the things he accomplished. He's a once-in-a-lifetime horse."

Ghostzapper retires with nine victories from 11 start and earnings of $3,446,120. He captured the 6 1/2-furlong Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I), seven-furlong Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II), one-mile Metropolitan, 1 1/8-mile Woodward (gr. I) and Philip H. Iselin Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III), and Breeders' Cup Classic.

Awesome Again, by Deputy Minister, has out two top 3-year-old fillies this year: Round Pond, who won the Acorn Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont June 4, and Spun Sugar, who took the Black-Eyed Susan (gr. II) at Pimlico May 20.

Subject Written By Posted
Ghostzapper Retired (985 Views) JAKE 06/13/2005 02:11PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (594 Views) jbelfior 06/13/2005 02:21PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (635 Views) jimbo66 06/13/2005 02:38PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (587 Views) 06/13/2005 02:51PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (622 Views) 06/13/2005 03:38PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (561 Views) richiebee 06/13/2005 03:47PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (573 Views) 06/13/2005 04:03PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (539 Views) Silver Charm 06/13/2005 04:05PM
Suggestion (570 Views) HP 06/13/2005 04:36PM
Re: Suggestion (491 Views) P-Dub 06/13/2005 06:01PM
Re: Suggestion (490 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 06/13/2005 08:12PM
Re: Suggestion (507 Views) 06/13/2005 06:16PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (480 Views) kev 06/13/2005 07:13PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (480 Views) Silver Charm 06/13/2005 08:47PM
Re: Ghostzapper Retired (445 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 06/14/2005 01:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.